PDA

View Full Version : Eels versus hitchhiker crabs?

Delphinus
12-10-2006, 02:02 AM
I have NO experience with eels and anything I know (or think I know) is second-hand.

Everything I read about eels says their diet should include crustaceans.

Ok, so here begs the question. In a tank that is *completely infested* with hitchhiker crabs ranging in size from 1/4"-1/2" to 2" or so, with at least a dozen individuals, ... could an eel be employed to help seek them out?

I've always had a fondness of the golden dwarf morays, but maybe they're too small? Snowflake maybe?

Opinions?

i2ik
12-10-2006, 02:15 AM
From what i know, its quite easy to feed anything from the grocery like shrimp. I dont think they will get on your hitchkiker crabs unless he is very hungry but i would be surprised. Dont forget to put eggcrate all around your tank, there is a lot of risk to see your eel on the floor the next morning.

Delphinus
12-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah I'd have to do something about that since this is an open top tank (no fish).

I'm just thinking about ideas on how to deal with an out of control crab population. It sucks having a tank I can't put corals in. I was thinking maybe triggers, but someone told me the same thing as you, i.e., although they eat crabs, they'd be surprised if they were the magic bullet I'm looking for.

Because it's a ritteri species tank and the ritteri is VERY large, I can't house it in another tank while I tear down the rock and treat each rock with soda water or whatever .. so I'm looking for alternate ideas.

Farrmanchu
12-10-2006, 03:07 AM
An Octopus will clear them out. Buy one, let him fill up on Crabs, then sell.:mrgreen:

Kabong
12-10-2006, 03:15 AM
From what I;ve heard as long as you get the right species.
IE one that eats crustaceans.
Yes it would probably do the job.
Might take awhile though.

albert_dao
12-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Tried it twice at the store. Doesn't work. They'll only tackle the smallest of crabs from what I could tell. The big ones, once backed into a hole, are easily a match for most eels up til the 2' range.

untamed
12-10-2006, 05:42 AM
There was an young lady that swalled a fly....

dunl
12-10-2006, 05:50 AM
My freshwater moray knocked mine off, but only when he was hungry. Then again, I got him when he was already 2ft long...

Tony - why not a mantis?

EmilyB
12-10-2006, 06:52 AM
The zebra moray is a crab eater. Keep a lid on it, and I'll adopt him when he gets too big. :mrgreen:

AndyL
12-10-2006, 03:29 PM
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...

On that same vein - how about a mantis? Get a big-un, then you've just got one to catch once all the hitch hikers are gone...

Course we all know I'm nuckin futz - but it makes sense on some level :D

Delphinus
12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Hmm, a mantis? I guess that could work!

What about a snowflake? I've always like these, and aren't they the most "fish-safe" (-ish) morays so the possibility of keeping fish alongside one day wouldn't be far-fetched?

Darcy - a freshwater eel knocked off your crabs? Was it living in SW? .. Me confused. :lol: