PDA

View Full Version : Ca reactor feed question

mark
12-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Just bought a MJ400 to feed my reactor but now wondering if there would be any problem in just tapping into the output of my return pump (Iwaki70RLT)?

Have some couplings on the 1" line on the output of the pump, thinking drilling into one then tap in a 1/8" MPT/John Guess type fitting. No plans for the 1" valve on the tee, but don't want to use it.

Effluent rate would be controlled from a valve on the outline of the reactor.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/return.jpg

Dyspnea
12-09-2006, 05:35 AM
On a previous Ca reactor i ran it off the main pump. Worked great, less clutter than using an additional pump. I put in a Tee at some point on a run, then i used a quick connect for the 1/4" line.

kari
12-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Risky with pressure buildup if a line gets clogged.

mark
12-09-2006, 01:19 PM
don't need water on the floor, can you explain

i2ik
12-09-2006, 04:55 PM

I dont get it, would not it pass by to the return anyways if the line get clogged? Where ca nthe pressure build up?

kari
12-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I think it was Tony's reactor that popped this way. Looks like that pump can do something like 21psi and also looks like your outlet into the tank is on the next floor. I'll take back my comment and call myself a liar. I guess it depends on what pressure the reactor can handle. Ask the manufacturer of the reactor and do the math on the plumbing assuming the reactor outlet is completely clogged.

Pescador
12-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I have my reactor plumbed off the main return pump and it's been working great, it also feeds the phosban and ozone reactors.

http://members.shaw.ca/btooms/manifold.jpg

kari
12-09-2006, 06:00 PM
I'll try that again.

If I wanted a warm fuzzy feeling that nothing will go wrong and didn't like playing around with math I would,

-find out the pressure capability of the reactor from the manufacturer
-attach the planned plumbing fitting to the line with a pressure gauge
-then add say 1.2 factor of safety to the pressure

That is approx. what the pressure in the reactor would be in a worst case scenario. The outlet on a reactor can get clogged. Hope that makes more sense.

Pescador
12-09-2006, 07:12 PM
If you do end up using the MJ400 to feed your reactor it's important to put a bypass hole in the line just after the pump (under water) to allow back pressure to bleed off. This will keep you from destroying the pump.
(From my reactor manual).

It doesn't take a lot to feed the reactor, my valve to it is barely open. You have a recirc pump in the reactor, so you only have to set the input flow a little higher than the output. It makes the output easier to adjust and you don't need a ton of pressure in it.

mark
12-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Tapped a 1/8"NPT/JC fitting for 1/4" OD tubing into the 45° elbow.

After I drilled it thinking, hope it doesn't turn into a venturi port, but works okay.

Flow is slow, 20 seconds to fill 500ml and not much pressure, I can easily block it off with my finger.

BTW, I asked the pressure rating from the manufacturer, and I wasn't much help to myself (DIY reactor:biggrin: ).

Delphinus
12-10-2006, 01:45 AM
As Kari mentioned I did pop a reactor having fed it off my sump return. Came home to find an incredible mess and an empty sump. :(

My mistake was making the flow adjuster valve on the output of the reactor. I highly recommend putting the flow adjuster valve on the INPUT side of the reactor.

Even if the reactor can handle the pressure, another point to consider is that a reactor under pressure will want to leak more than a reactor that isn't under pressure.

Other than that, really, anything that works, works .. I've seen people use gravity feeds, little powerheads (that's what I use nowadays .. an itty bitty maxijet or minijet something-or-other), sometimes even the recirc pump can have enough suction and discharge to draw water in from the tank and push it back. Like Pescador mentioned, you don't need pressure to run the reactor, just a slow flow and a way to fine-tune the flow if need be. 60ml/min works plenty fine for me with my current bioload and tank size.

marie
12-10-2006, 02:44 AM
I have mine gravity fed from the overflow upstairs(there is about a 10ft drop), it seems to work great and there is no pump to worry about :biggrin:

littlesilvermax
12-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Long story, me and my 4 foot tall calium reactor!

I used to feed it off of a pcx-40 that returns water to my main tank one floor above. Too much pressure in the reactor and busted two 1/4 inch acylic lids!

Having a needle valve on the input side of the reactor does not work well, at least never did for me. Every 2 days it would start to clog a little and change my effluent rate, drove me nuts!

Having the valve on the output side resulted in a very steady effluent rate, and is what I recommend. Usually on the effluent side it will not clog because there is always low ph water passing through it. Unfortunately if it is on the output side it has the possibilty of causing too much pressure in the reactor, depending on pump and how much pressure is in the line.

Eventually I just spent the dough for a used lab grade dosing pump and have never looked back.

kari
12-10-2006, 05:11 PM
I can easily block it off with my finger.

BTW, I asked the pressure rating from the manufacturer, and I wasn't much help to myself (DIY reactor:biggrin: ).

Haha, that means you have to build another one the same just to blow it up testing:lol:

It's easy to stop the flow in a 1/4" line because it has a x-section area of only 0.049 inch sq. Your reactor has a much greater surface area so total forces are greater while the pressure remains the same. Most likely you won't have any problems.

mark
12-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Well feed from the main pump was too much. Though I cut a groove in both the upper lower flanges, I get a little weeping past the o-ring with the pump on.

Already returned the MJ400 so guess after X-mas be looking around for a mini-jet or the like.