PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Elos testkit vial

Delphinus
12-08-2006, 04:21 AM
:redface: Broke the little glass vial that comes with the Elos nitrate testkit.

Anyone got an old (Elos) testkit that the vial can be recycled from? At $40 or whatever it was for the kit, and only 2 tests in, I'd like to find a replacement vial that matches the height and diameter of the original (I have lots of vials from other test kits, but the volumes may be different enough to throw off the readings..)

Der_Iron_Chef
12-08-2006, 04:50 AM
I have the ELOS calcium test kit, and it tells me to measure the water for testing with the syringe. Is it the same for the Nitrate test kit? If so, would it matter what sort of vial you used?

Delphinus
12-08-2006, 04:55 AM
For the volume, no it wouldn't matter. But wouldn't it matter for the water column height to be right in the vial itself since "more height" will yield a darker colour, "less height" a lighter colour, thus throwing off the readings?

The colour comparison things are at best a subjective leap anyhow ("Is this shade of pink more like that hue, or this hue?"). I wish there were more titration type test kits since there's no guesswork involved with those, just counting drops until you see a colour *change* rather than guessing how pink something is. I've never heard of a titration style testkit for nitrate though, just for calcium and alkalinity.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Ahhh. Gotcha. Understood :biggrin: