PDA

View Full Version : 10 gal nano ideas

marcingo
12-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey everyone. I am looking to set my 10 gal nano back up- moved everything from my 10 gal into a 55 gal. Basically I would like something interesting as to kind of setup/livestock. It doesnt matter to me whether it is a reef tank or FOWLR but im looking to have something out of the ordinary and interesting. What are some interesting livestock I can put in this tank- For example could I put a puffer in a tank this size? are there any that a tank like this will suffice for? Any other animals? They do not have to be reef safe since if its something very interesting I just wont run it as a reef since I have a reef in my 55.

Anyway thanks for the ideas and input.

windeindoiel
12-07-2006, 10:38 PM
From what I hear mantis shrimp are interesting, you'd have to keep it by itself though.

marcingo
12-07-2006, 11:33 PM
I have been thinking of that but I have read that sometimes you need very strong glass/ acrylic to keep them because they can hit the glass pretty hard and crack it. Have you heard anything of the sort?

JSTR
12-08-2006, 03:48 AM
You have a better chance of winning the lotto than a mantis smashing the glass.
The only puffer you can keep in a 10 tank is a brackish water puffer, most marine puffers require at least 50 gallons.
I have a ten gallon cube nano with two fire shrimp, a cherub angel and an indigo dottyback. Couple of easy corals like blastos and frogspawn.
I enjoy the active fish and the colors.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-08-2006, 05:06 AM
You have a better chance of winning the lotto than a mantis smashing the glass.

From wikipedia.org:

"A mantis shrimp, housed at the Sea Life Centre, Norfolk, England, shattered quarter-inch-thick glass at its enclosure in 1998. The 4-inch shrimp was relocated to a private tank, and nicknamed Tyson."

Likely, however, you wouldn't be keeping a 4-inch mantis in a 10 gallon tank!

Flusher
12-08-2006, 06:06 AM
If you can find a suitable mantis, it would be sweet. Finding them is the tricky part. Anything that grows over 3" or 4" is too big. Here's a list:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

I've got a 2.5" G. smithii. I have it in a 6 gallon cube with 1/4" glass. It's smacked the glass several times without any damage. I had it with a three-Stripe Damsel for a few months (in the 6 gallon, then in a 13 gallon tank) and they got along just fine. I just moved the mantis back to the 6 gallon, as I modified it while in the process of downsizing my tanks.

WRT puffers, three Dwarf Puffers would do okay in the 10 gallon, but they're freshwater. One Figure 8 puffer might fit in a 10 gallon, but that's one of the light brackish types.
________
Chevrolet Omega Specifications (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Omega)

lukep77
12-08-2006, 09:04 AM
If you can find a small mantis you will not regret it. You could get away with keeping damsels with it and if they get eaten then no big deal.

marcingo
12-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Do you all find Mantis shrimp to be fairly active or do they just hide in their hole all day long? I am starting to become interested in a mantis tank. Also can they climb out of the tank? Would I require a top? Can I keep corals with them or will they eat them?

Thanks for the help.

Flusher
12-08-2006, 07:00 PM
My mantis isn't super active, but it's sure neat to watch. I'd recommend a lid. Corals are no problem; they won't get eaten.
________
HOME MADE VAPORIZER (http://homemadevaporizers.info/)

nanoreefer
12-08-2006, 07:17 PM
i have a manits in a 2.5g and hes out fairley often, they wont eat corals but mine some times barries them in sand and brakes off bits of the LR sometimes with zoos ect on it to reninforce its burrow, one good thing about them is most are bullet proof mine survived 19 days with out food at 65F because he was in a bucket with my LR when i was moveing and coudent get him out also the sg whent past 30

marcingo
12-09-2006, 12:17 AM
are they readily available in the LFS?

Fugu
12-09-2006, 03:08 AM
Well you cant keep a 4in mantis in a 10g tank:biggrin:

There are many smaller species of mantis shrimp out there.Green,purple and browns.There are many small mantis shrimp avalible.Check outhttp://www.liveaquaria.com and go to the divers den and then to inverts.

marcingo
12-09-2006, 04:00 PM
thanks.