PDA

View Full Version : how do you feed candy cane coral mysis?

riceboy
12-06-2006, 03:44 PM
hi i have some candycane coral but it's very difficult to feed it the frozen mysis
thanks
victor

bassman
12-06-2006, 04:18 PM
What I am using right now is a plastic pop bottle with the bottom cut off and a piece of rigid 3/8" plastic tubing running down the center. I press the mysis into the end while it's frozen. Then I place the bottle over the coral with the tubing right above the head and use a turkey baster on the opposite end to push the mysis out slowly.

The bottle is just to keep the water flow from washing the mysis away b4 the coral has a chance to grab it. That and it helps to keep the fish away as well.

I am looking for a large syringe right now to replace the turkey baster and make it even easier and more controlled. With a syringe a person could draw the mysis into the tube in a thawed state and control the delivery much more as well.

I am sure there are other/easier methods though.

GMGQ
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I used to feed them after lights out. About an hour or so after the lights go out at night, everything comes to life with great PE -- candycanes included. When all their tentacles are out, just squirt some on them.

Having said that, I dont direct-feed my LPS much these days.

AndyL
12-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Turn off lights... wait 30-60 minutes, grab tweezers, place one mysis per head... When done - if any sweepers are out again - repeat.

Don't much like just blowing food in the direction of the heads - loose too much to the cleanup crews that way.

Personally I've gotten into feeding my LPS NLS pellets - little easier, and no reduction in growth.

Richy44
12-07-2006, 02:38 AM
NLS pellets

Please elaborate

Thanks..

riceboy
12-07-2006, 04:27 AM
wow thanks for all the tip everyone, i think i'm gonna try turning of the lights and feeding them with tweezers tonight i'll tell you how it goes
thanks
victor

MikeP
12-07-2006, 04:55 AM
Please elaborate

Thanks..

I sure he means New Life Spectrum. It's a brand of food that comes in flake and pellets.

HTH

Richy44
12-07-2006, 04:58 AM
I sure he means New Life Spectrum. It's a brand of food that comes in flake and pellets.

HTH

Yes it does..

Thanks

DanG
12-07-2006, 06:53 PM
On the rare occasion that I target feed my LPS, I put a chunk of mysis in a bowl with some saltwater, let it thaw then suck it up with a turkey baster. I find the polyps on my candy cane come out when the lights come off, and I have no issues getting most of the shrimp on the heads. They also tend to like cyclopeeze.