PDA

View Full Version : coralife skimmer

Keen
12-06-2006, 02:30 AM
I have a coralife skimmer, and the skimmer is working great. I am just wondering if there is a better replacement air silencer I can get to attach to the air inlet to make the skimmer more quiet. or can you just add more silencers in line to multiply the effect?

saltynuts
12-06-2006, 02:32 AM
use a film canister and drill some holes in it.
you can put cotton batton in too

Murminator
12-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Good thinkin Ed mine is plugged it has never worked

robzilla
12-06-2006, 04:21 AM
there's some tips and tricks found at this webpage

http://www.tylermerrick.com/index.php?page=css_notes

Keen
12-06-2006, 05:30 AM
use a film canister and drill some holes in it.
you can put cotton batton in too

I never even thought about that. I used a pill bottle, filled it with filter floss, and drilled holes into the lid of it. it works way better than the one that comes with the skimmer.

Keen
12-06-2006, 05:34 AM
the other thing I am looking for is the installation manual. I am trying to figure out how to optimize my skimming ability. if anyone has a link to it, or knows how to do it, please let me know. When I first got it, I read the manual, but it was not very clear. if someone could post a how-to with pictures of the skimmer and what to turn, that would be wicked. I have tried playing with mine, but I only get a little bit of bubbles in the skimmer. Maybe I'm doin something wrong, who knows.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Ahh. The manual you get with it is crap! It tells you all sorts of erroneous things, strangely enough.

From what I've read, the powerhead should be within three inches of the water surface to maximize skimming and reduce microbubbles (not sure how this matters, but apparently, it does!) As well, the top of the bubble diffuser box should be as close to water level as possible.

I had a problem with microbubbles. I got rid of the useless white filter pad at the bottom of the diffuser box and replaced it with the black filter sponge material. A hundred times better! There was also a lot of water splashing upward from bubbles that would burst at the surface of the diffuser box, so I got more black filter sponge and put it at the surface of the box. Voila, no splash.

Just a few tips from a once-frustrated CSS user! It works great now, but took a bit of TLC :biggrin:

Chowder
12-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Add about a 3 to 5 foot piece of air line to the intake side on the silencer. Works well and is an easy fix.

Salinity Now
12-07-2006, 04:08 AM
Exactly as jkhchris posted above. Works awesome. :wink: