PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer my Bolivian ram female and her eggs into a new tank

Carrera75
12-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi guys

My Bolivian Ram female spawned couplf days ago and I would like to know if it is ok to move her to another tank with the eggs. She spawns every 2weeks but the eggs or fry always get eaten by the other fish (she is in a community tank). I would like to know what is the safest way to transfer her and the fry into another small tank that I have running with a few small fish (the small fish would go into the community tank).

cheers!:biggrin:

X-Treme
12-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I have had TONS of success raising baby bolivians. The way I do it is I wait for the eggs to hatch. Mom and dad usually keep them safe for the first few days till they start to wander away. While the babies are still in the "hole" in the substrate that the parents dug out, I just used my gravel cleaner and "sucked" out the babies into a bucket then trasferred them to thier new home. No need to take mom and dad with them, as they will survive just fine on thier own. Make sure you have baby fish food though. I have done this many times from a 110 gallon community tank with over 100 fish in it.

Carrera75
12-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Make sure you have baby fish food though.

What type of food do they eat?
cheers

X-Treme
12-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I bought Hikari baby fish food. Not sure what it is called, but it's like a powder. It's in a green package. I got mine at Big Al's. You can also buy frozen baby brine shrimp. (think this is by Hikari also)