PDA

View Full Version : Ever get worried?

pinpuller22
12-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Well just starting to fill up my 175g Oc. Bow, ever get that feeling that the stand is gonna just collapse and you are going to have a tidal wave in your living room? hard to belive that some bit of plywood is going to hold up a 2000lb tank .....

untamed
12-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean...I sat there and listened to the stand as I filled up...There was one creak as the plexiglas settled against one of the side walls, but the stand was rock solid!

pinpuller22
12-03-2006, 07:26 PM
lol every time I hear a creek I turn off the pump ....

niloc16
12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
when i filled my 265g system it snapped and cracked about 5 times the first evening and i would run full speed into the room, crank on all the lights and inspected every square inch of the stand and tank. but i think in the end it was the floor joists and stand settling and adjusting to the weight. my wife said she heard in the middle of the night 2 more times but it has never done it since. for the first month i was continuosly worried about it and everytime i came home i would peek around the corner upstairs looking for the 'indoor pool' in my living room.

Pan
12-03-2006, 07:58 PM
i Just drilled a hole in the roof to secure my metal halide fixture, oops 2 inches off and right through a drain pipe...bloody hell, well now i get to learn how to do plumbing with abs :)

vanreefer
12-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Well just starting to fill up my 175g Oc. Bow, ever get that feeling that the stand is gonna just collapse and you are going to have a tidal wave in your living room? hard to belive that some bit of plywood is going to hold up a 2000lb tank .....

Yup thats why I went metal for my 180... I think I could park my car safly on my stand :wink:

Dave C
12-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Funny you should say that. I used metal on the stand for my 225g. My floor isn't level so when I got the sump on the bottom rack & filled and the tank on top of the stand I was able to assess how out of level it was. It's at least 1/4" out from left to right. So I got my car jack out, sat it on a piece of plywood right next to the tank and stuck a 2x4 between the jack & the top rail of the stand. I jacked it up about 3/8" and shimmed under the stand and plopped the stand back down. I wouldn't do that with a wooden stand.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Heh! Obsession and paranoia...emerging common traits of the reef enthusiast! :mrgreen:

I sympathize with this, too....even though I only have a 50G!

Jaws
12-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Is it common to still hear the occasional crack coming from the tank? I seem to notice it more at night after the MH's go off so I think in my case it might have something to do with heat.

kwirky
12-04-2006, 11:04 PM
i built my own 120g tank, and it's on a tubular steel stand. the stand never worried me but my own silicone job made me nervous. I'm thinking when I move about 1.5-2 years from now, I'm going to take the tank apart, take off the silicone and do it from scratch again.