PDA

View Full Version : skimmer only systems

kris
01-03-2002, 02:58 PM
Hey i was reading some things on the "berlin" system of reef keeping. And i was woundering is it possible to run a reef with only a skimmer? Dose any one out there do this? mine is a 33 and i use a red sea prizm skimmer which is good up to 90g, curently i can not set up a sump where i am so i am running a ehim canister filter <no bio balls> oh and lighting is PC 110w and a vho acentic blue

FlameAngel
01-03-2002, 08:06 PM
With an good amount of LR or LS, a skimmer is really all you need for nice stable system. Some even run systems without skimmers.

kris
01-03-2002, 08:36 PM
for a 33g what do you recomend the ratio be for live rock and DSB?

reefburnaby
01-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Hi,

Usually, the DSB is about 4 to 6 inches in depth. Approximately 1 lb of lr per gallon is usually a good guestimate, but it depends on how you want to aquascape and the type of live rock you use. I would buy 15 lbs of lr and see how it works out. If you need more, you can always go back to the LFS.

It is better to aim for quality live rock rather than quantity of live rock. J&L sells fairly good live rock.

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

- Victor.

[ 03 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Dale D
01-04-2002, 02:38 AM
I have run my 135g for the last 7 or 8 years using only live rock and a Red Sea Berlin skimmer. The tank does not have any mechcanical (sponge or foam)filter, or a DSB only about an inch of sand covering the bottom of the tank. Some of my bottom is completely bare. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

Once you have enough LR in the system, I would remove all of the media from the cansister filter and use it for circulation only. Or run carbon in it for a few days a month. Cansisters are good mechanical filters, so, if they are not kept clean they because nutrient factories.

HTH Dale

kris
01-05-2002, 03:18 PM
well after alot of reading on the berlin system, i have decided to remove my canister filter, im modefying my skimmer to have an overflow, and a place so that i can store some carbon to felp remove the bad stuff from the water.

thanks all for the help

kris

DJ88
01-05-2002, 03:38 PM
Kris,

You don't need to take the cannister off completely.. Remove the filter media and use it for extra water volume. As well circulation.

An aded bonus to doing this is that you have a place to put carbon in once a month or so.