PDA

View Full Version : Calcium, Alkalinity & Underwater Epoxy

Der_Iron_Chef
12-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Two questions:

1) I've never worried about measuring calcium and alkalinity until now, but have been using Kent Turbo Calcium and dkH Superbuffer to maintain levels. I got test kits today, and the results were: CA - 475ppm, dkH 11.6.

Are these levels okay? I keep a relatively low bio load of soft/LPS corals and fish.

2) Who uses underwater epoxy to affix their corals to their live rock? Why/why not? Any hints, if so?

Okay, a third question, I lied....

3) Anyone else using ELOS test kits? It seemed fairly easy to use and I was told it was better than Salifert, though was at least twice the cost. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Beverly
12-02-2006, 02:08 AM
I keep Ca levels in our 120g mixed BTA, zoo, lps and sps tank at about 420 ppm and I think your Ca is just a bit high. You should also be measuring magnesium to keep the alk, Ca and Mg levels balanced.

I use the underwater epoxy for mounting corals onto LR. It's the two part white stuff with green as an outside coating. Mix it really well until the colour is consistent. It's good for about 20 minutes, then it's too hard to mold after that.

HTH :)

Lynn
12-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Beverly,
Your parameters are good except for a tad high on the cal. Although some like it up to 500 they say its hard on the pumps then. I just use the kent turbo calcium or the aragamight to keep my levels up and I haven't had any problems. Much easier then those reactors (I think) In fact I have one sitting here disconnected if anyone wants one for free.
The apoxy's are great to attaching corals to your rocks. I love the "gel" glue as well. I can even take a polyp and stick it on with that stuff...even through the slime!
Do you still have your seahorse's?

Beverly
12-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Lynn,

I don't think Ca levels of 420 ppm are too high, though IIRC, natural salt water has Ca levels of 380 ppm (please correct me if I am wrong). Perhaps you are thinking of the original poster's Ca levels when replying to me?

Have not kept SHs for about 2 years now.

mark
12-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Beverly,
Much easier then those reactors (I think) In fact I have one sitting here disconnected if anyone wants one for free.

I'll take it.

Lynn
12-04-2006, 12:52 AM
sorry Bev, I meant 475 maybe just a tad high
Mark, phone me about the cal reactor 9092117