PDA

View Full Version : 400W Radium Users & Bluewave Ballast Users - Happy?

wayner
10-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Just like to know if your happy with the color of the 400w Radium running off the Bluewave Ballast, if you could give some feedback, Too Blue, just right, do they need supplementation, are they fine running alone, or do you think they look better running off the PFO HQI ballast or Blueline Ballasts.

Thanks

canadawest
10-23-2002, 05:21 AM
I just saw a bunch of acros and other SPS corals under a fairly new 400W Radium at Seacare.org. All I can say is the corals look fantastic under that light. It's running off a Blueline E-Ballast which was amazingly small and apparently runs cool to the touch.

Tim seems to be really happy with them on his grow-out tanks and says they are his new lamp of choice. After having seen it in person I have to agree they are nice looking.

In comparison, it doesn't seem as bright as my 250W 6500K Iwasaki, but definitely has a nice blue-white appearance and certainly makes the corals fluouresce (sp?).

FishGeek
10-23-2002, 06:38 AM
I like mine. I think the color is just right by it self. All I have are 2 40w flourecents and 1 400w radium w/ bluewave ballast on a 72 gal tank. But I did switch from a 400w hydroponic ballest and 4000k bulb so i guess anybulb would look better. Dez really seems to like his, and so do his corals. I heard the HQI's are brighter but the color isn't as nice.

Simon

Doug
10-24-2002, 02:20 PM
Wayne,
I love the colour from mine. I currently have a pair of 400,s and a duel ballast. I also think the intensity is fine. I ran mine on a normal ballast before, and this is no comparison, however I have not used an electronic or another HQI.

Also I am partial to light on the actinic side of things, rather than the white/yellow light. Always been a 400w 12K fan, supplemented with 10K bulbs.

I turned the pair on for my son, who was here visiting, {only sand & water in the new tank}, and his comment was, "wow, looks like a tropical beach". Of course one has to remember, as with any other high colour temp. bulb, as colour temp is increased, wattage must be increased, to give about the same amout of par.

I was thinking of running my 400 PFO, with a 400 Iwasaki over the center, between the 20,s but now leaning towards adding another 20K and single Bluewave instead.

wayner
10-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Doug:

I gather there's no need for actinic supplementation?, since I haven't seen the Radium in action with the Bluewave, my concerns would be too blue and have to supplement, I don't want to have to do this, I want to run the Radium alone, just don't want it too blue., I don't want the tank to look like it's running solely on actinics.

From what I've read, PFO HQI ballast with overdrive the Radium resulting in a whiter appearance but also shortening bulb life at the same time., now Icecap has come out with a ballast that compares to the blueline.

I wish I lived closer so I could see your lights.

Thanks

Doug
10-24-2002, 03:54 PM
No actinics are needed. Unless for evening viewing, as mine are.

I used supplemental lighting with my 12K, as it lacked in par. But it did improve the colour of the corals. I also used supplemental lighting with 20K, run in a normal ballast. The Bluewave drives them much brighter, but perhaps not as much as HQI. I prefer the bluer colour, plus bulb longevity and the pulse start ballast.

I was going to use a 400 Iwasaki in the center for a few reasons.
-bulb longevity.
-intensity for the sps dominated tank.
-already have a 400w PFO ballast.
-tank is 30in. deep, with little sand.

The more I look at the pair of Radiums though, the more I think I will just run 3 of them. I believe the three 400,s would be enough intensity. However this is not time tested yet, so only a belief on mine.

I like the corals to have a nice colour. When I added the 400 12K to my other tank, the sps coloured up very nice. Also, IMO, there is nothing to match the overall tank colour under these bulbs. Its a sparkling white/blue. All comments from people are how real it looks, compared with a more whiter light.

I only suggest this for 400 watt bulbs though. Dont have enough experience with others. And to be fair, there are many out there that think the use of higher colour temp bulbs, are a waste of power. :)

As I dont have a webpage anymore, I cant post pics here. However if you wish I can e-mail you some of my new tank, with only two of the 400,s on. Be aware that for some reason, pics dont do these bulbs justice. They always look bluer than in person.

Is overdriving these bulbs better? I dont know. Its a bit brighter, thats for sure. I for one though would not overdrive mine. I just use more bulbs. :wink: IMO, if I had to ovedrive them for enough light, then I would use 400w 10K German bulbs.

wayner
10-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Thanks Doug:

I'll wait till you get your website up & running, I find it is pretty hard to tell from pictures, how do you find the spread with the Sunlight? reflectors, I'm gonna bite the bullet & give the 400w Radium on the Bluewave a shot., I'm going to mount it over a 3 foot tank.

Do you think 1 will adequately cover the 3 feet long & 18 " wide tank, I d can understand there probably will be less intensity towards the ends of the tank, but I can live with that .

What about heat, do they get very hot?

So many questions, thanks for your patience.

Doug
10-24-2002, 09:34 PM
They are the best parabolic reflectors I have used so far.

As for spread, these type of reflectors tend to direct light down into the tank, more so than spreading it. I find the best to spread light, is a white relector.

Having said that, yes, I am one that thinks it will be enough for your tank. I played with a single 400 over my 4ft. by 32in. 170 gal. I also lit my 70 gal. { 3ft. by 2ft}, for years, with a single 250 watt Iwasaki, in a vertical pendant. You will just have to watch coral placement.

They do get pretty hot in an enclosed hood, like all 400,s though. If you seen some of my other posts, I sold these lights to my friend and was going to use all vho on my 170. One of the reasons why we traded back, was because he ran the pair of 400,s in an enclosed hood on his 120. He cooled it with 4 fans and it was still very hot. He wanted to run a cover glass to keep evaporation down and it was then to hot. As long as you have good cooling fans of air movement and dont cover your tank with a glass top, it should be fine.

FishGeek
10-25-2002, 01:32 AM
All I have is one 400w on my 4 foot tank! I kinda like the effect it gives. Very bright in the middle with the light dimming towards the sides. This way I can place high light corals in the middle and then the softies and low light corals towards the ends!

Simon

Bob I
10-27-2002, 01:49 AM
[ fluouresce (sp?).

Damn close, except for the extra "U", you are right on. It should be FLUORESCE. :D :D

BC_Grl
10-30-2002, 03:42 AM
GEEEZ, and I thought I was picky about spelling. My husband would tell you I am because he knows it drives me insane (and I have the bad habit of correcting his English/spelling).
But having said that, being on a public board, I let it go because if I criticize people's spelling, they might not appreciate my posts and what a waste of a post. :D
Have a great day, Bob

Mak
10-31-2002, 01:53 AM
Bob, I don't believe for 1 second that you are/were an electrician... English teacher I will believe :P :lol: :roll: :wink: .

Doug
11-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Well I sold the PFO pendant. Purchased another single Bluewave ballast, another of their reflectors and another 400w Radium. So I am now running all 3 the same. {or will be as soon as I pick it up}. :D