PDA

View Full Version : How many fish!

Carrera75
12-01-2006, 03:19 AM
How many fish can I have in a 14 gallon biocube?
i was thinking about having a pair of clown fish and maybe a third small fish.

what do you guys think?
cheers:biggrin: :biggrin:

niloc16
12-01-2006, 03:23 AM
that fish load seems ok. you could try a goby or possibly a firefish something slow moving and docile or you could get a cleaner (skunk) shrimp, they are very cool to watch and is cool to see the relationship between the fish and shrimp. are you using a skimmer? just feed lightly to reduce the amount of nutrients in the tank. did you end up getting a biocube? where from? any pictures?

Skimmer Juice
12-01-2006, 03:36 AM
I'am going to get the same tank. I will have a orange stripe pipefish, 2 grissenger goby's a handful of boxing crabs, and a harliquin shrimp. If you can get your hands on a small pipfish he has been one of my favorite fish and the grissenger's are really cool, but they were pretty expensive. I also heard they were hard to get, but those are two perfect fish for that 14 gallon. Hope these sugestions are any help.:biggrin:

Carrera75
12-01-2006, 03:37 AM
Hi there
I haven't set up the tank yet. I bought a 14 gallon biocube and am just wondering how many fish I could have in this tank. I do not have a skimmer and I would prefer no to have to get one. Once I set up the tank I am thinking about doing weekly water changes to keep the water clean.

Cheers

nanoreefer
12-01-2006, 04:00 AM
i think you could have 3-4, i would suggest doing the fuge mod on your cube if you havent sence it will help with nutriants and give pods a place to hide and breed, if you go with 2 clowns you probably could couple small gobys too like neons,red head, clown, trimma ect, iam planning on 3 fish for my 8g cube i think:biggrin:

Carrera75
12-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Wow! 3 fish in an 8 gallon?
2 clown and 2 gobys sound great for my tank, perhaps 1 Goby and 1 Firefish. I have only bought the tank so far because I feel that i still have to do more research before buying any fish. I read that If I had corals in my tank I would have to feed them! How does that work? What kind of food do corals eat?

cheers

niloc16
12-01-2006, 04:28 AM
i never feed my corals. for the most part, depending on the coral, they get most of their nutrients from photosynthesis,and the remainder they will capture from the water column. some people have good success with target feeding corals to have them reproduce quicker, but i've never target fed and they are doing great. i've only ever lost 2 corals, a brain and xenia and that was because my flame angel took a liking to them. if you want to feed them you can the phytoplankton, rotifers, reef roids all of which you can get from your lfs

albert_dao
12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Feeding corals is also dependant on coral types.

muck
12-01-2006, 02:52 PM
One note on the clowns. I'd stick with either Ocellaris or Percula clowns as most of the other types get larger and are more aggressive. (not a good combo in a 14G nano)

Beverly
12-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Erring on the side of caution, I'd stick with only two fish (tank raised ocellaris clowns) in a 14g, even though you're going to do weekly water changes. You could probably add a cleaner shrimp or a few sexy shrimp, but keeping your bioload low will help you reduce nuisance algae problems in the future.

Midknight
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a breeding pair of ocellaris clowns (or hope they start breeding) with a tiny scooter bleeny in my 10G. Had a camel shrimp with them but he packed it in this morning. He was my very first guy I got for my tanks. :sad:
I think I will replace him with a couple of sexy shrimp.

albert_dao
12-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I have five small fish in my 14.

Diana
12-01-2006, 07:53 PM
In my 20 I have a saddleback clownfish and 1 brazillian gramma. I've tried a couple shrimp gobies with no luck... so I've had only these 2 fish for over a year now. I also have a coral banded shrimp.

:)
-Diana

Carrera75
12-02-2006, 04:10 AM
3 or 4 small fish is what i would like to have. I don't mind doin weekly water changes to keep the water clean.

cheers