PDA

View Full Version : I have Ich, any suggestions

MoeReefer
11-30-2006, 09:06 PM
well, my fish has Ich. I got this stuff, it was only 8 bucks, its called Ich Attack made by kordon aquaherbals. supposed to be reef safe for all fish, inverts and corals. i have snails, hermits, variouse soft coral and LPS, and a cleaner shrimp.
also i have gotten advise for hypo and hyper salinity. which one is correct? do i want to increase salinity or decrease it. how long of a periode should i change salitnity over?
any advise is much appreciated.

cheers

MoeReefer
11-30-2006, 09:22 PM
here is a link. this is what i have. http://www.novalek.com/korgd20.htm

cheers

niloc16
11-30-2006, 10:38 PM
as far as i know there is nothing that is reef safe medication to cure ich. if you have cleaner shrimps or cleaner fish they can aid with ich. if you have a uv sterlizer they can help, but if you plan on keeping corals i personally would not use meds on your tank. the effects of the medications can be long term effect rather than short term as far as poisioning the tank.

danny zubot
11-30-2006, 10:51 PM
It's Hyposalinty. The low down is that inverts including the Ick parasite can not live velow a certain salinty level. By slowly decreasing salinty of the water your fish are in, you will eventually kill the parasite. Fish won't be effected as much, and in most cases will actually benifit from a brief period under lower salinity levels. This is because lower salinity decreases a fish's osmotic response and makes it easier to breath. (A good idea because they're usually stressed a bit from the ick)

Once the ick is gone you raise the levels back up to par, but slowly. The whole process should take 6 weeks. It can be done faster but you need to leave the leave the main tank fallow for 6 weeks any way to allow the parasites to run their life cycle.

IMO Ick additives do not work, I've tried them. Do whats best for the fish and go hyposalinty. If you google Hyposalinty treatment you should find the exact procedure which will include how fast and how long to drop your salinity.

Thanks,

Danny

Bob I
11-30-2006, 10:52 PM
There is a lot of very good advice in the "fish" forum on this board. Call it up, and look under diseases. Rather that stumbing around in the dark, and rehashing already published material you should perhaps have a look there.:question:

MoeReefer
12-01-2006, 01:35 AM
cool. thanks for the info and idvice. always nice to know there are helpful people out there.

cheers

MoeReefer
12-01-2006, 01:39 AM
will the hyposalinity harm my hermits and clearner shrimp?

cheers

marie
12-01-2006, 02:13 AM
will the hyposalinity harm my hermits and clearner shrimp?

cheers
Do not use hyposalinity in the main tank, it will harm more then just the hermits and shrimp.
Set up a hospital tank/quarantine tank and treat the fish in there for 6 weeks, by then the maintank will be clear of ich as well

MoeReefer
12-01-2006, 02:49 AM
good advise.

cheers