PDA

View Full Version : Lighting on 30g

cyber_ecco
11-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Just curious what I could keep on my 30g tall with a 2X65W PC fixture. Its about 20" tall, 30" long and 12" wide, so I get good light coverage on the tank. Its the height that worries me. Either using 2 50/50 bulbs or 1 10000K and 1 actinic. I plan to use a 2-3 inch sand bed, with some live rocks, polyps and mushrooms. Would this be adequate lighting? I do plan on getting a MH 150W HQI later on, but I have this fixture already and thought I might just use it for now. I'm just not sure how adequate this lighting will be in the meantime. I'm not planning on keeping any clams. Would I be able to keep anenomes with this setup? Which bulb configuration would you recommend? Thanks for the help.

Gord.

andresont
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I keep SPS under PC lights no problem however in 6 gal that is not too deep.
If you want LPS you OK. The light is important as much as the flow and good skimming, personally i am for overskimming.
Anemones have minds of theire own trawel a lot until they find a spot they like.

Kryten
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
I would go for 1 10K and one actinic over 2 50/50s. That way you can use 2 timers and get a better dawn/dusk effect. And being able to see your livestock under just actinic for a portion of the day is cool because depending on the colours they can really glow.