PDA

View Full Version : Scents in the Air Bad?

Jaws
11-30-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm just curious if anyone can comment on different scents that we use around the house. For instance:

Air Fresheners
Self Cleaning Oven
Burning Scented Oils

Are these harmful to the tank?

What about if you have an air freshener in a different room of the house?

Thanks.

Chaloupa
11-30-2006, 03:42 AM
I use a ton of scented candles (partylite, so good quality and lead free)...and always have...the scent will fill most of the house and I don't "see" any ill effects. We also have one tank in the kitchen and use air freshener and strongly scented cleaning supplies on the floor and in the oven etc...no problems here...

Psyire
11-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Some critters are more sensitive. Mantis Shrimp for example are extremely sensitive to aromatics.

EmilyB
11-30-2006, 07:19 AM
I still remember a story about scented candles and a tank crash, I don't care to prove it, I will never risk it. :neutral:

Chaloupa
11-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Hey EmilyB thanks for the heads up! :biggrin:

christyf5
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I turn off my skimmer when there is any scent in the air esp that febreze stuff. My tank is in the basement though which helps keep it away from the goings on upstairs with cleaners and candles and such.

bubblepuffer
11-30-2006, 02:24 PM
I got a Air purifier next to my tank =) Just keep the air clean and smell good for the fishes, coral and of course the owner, myself =)

Pan
11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
scents and a tank crash? your kidding right....cause well i think that'd be hogwash :)

adidas
11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
wwhat about paint fumes? i'm painting the tank stand soon

EmilyB
11-30-2006, 09:05 PM
scents and a tank crash? your kidding right....cause well i think that'd be hogwash :)

Because you don't believe it doesn't make it hogwash, nor does believing it necessarily make it true. It was quite a lengthy thread on rec.aquaria.marine.reefs years ago and I followed it quite closely. I was merely pointing that out.

Scavenger
11-30-2006, 09:09 PM
My fish load is very small since a decease outbreak a while ago, so I desided to move my painting bench into the fish room for a trial basis. I airbrush and regular brush acrylics and oils.

I haven't seen any ill effects of doing this near my reef. No fish, corals or inverts suffered or seemed to care. Full extention and normal patterns. Been doing this for a month or so now and I paint almost daily.

I do use odorless solvents and no paint thinner but not sure if it would be a factor or not for the tank. I just I hate the smelly stuff.

On a side note, sprayed air freshener has caused damage and death in my tank once before.

MoeReefer
11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
i would try and stay away from anything that may harm your fish tank. if it harms the life in the tank, then im sure it isnt to good for you either. i just dont like the idea of spraying any kind of cented unnatural substance into the air i breath. if i wanted to breath carcinogens then i would just start smokin agian, at least i would enjoy it more. man i used to love smokin.

cheers

bubblepuffer
11-30-2006, 09:39 PM
I think scent some do effect the tank.. not sure it's right or not. When I got my Aqua C remora Skimmer, in the document it do state tht sometime the Skimmer will go crazy and wonkie that can caused by a Scent ....

Yay Fish Poo Scent..

Jaws
11-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I know that anything that can get into the air can settle on the surface of the water and get into the water especially when you have a fan pulling air from outside the tank and blowing it across the water. Most of the cleaning and air freshening chemicals we use have ingestion warnings right on them. Now correct me if I'm wrong but if it can be harmful for a large living being like a human to ingest something like that then couldn't it be fatal for an extremely sensitive being like a fish or a coral? JMO. On the other side it does sound like there are a fair amount of people using these products without any problems. I've always been told to stay away from things like paint, spray air fresheners, and cleaning chemicals because of the gas they release into the air. Hopefully more people have some more experiences they can share. Thanks.

phillybean
12-02-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a very Canadian problem...the guys next door are pot heads. The tank is in my basement, but since I live in a town house, whenever they smoke, they do it in their basement. My basement then smells likes, well pot. Would this affect the fish? I don't want a bunch of stoned fish knocking over my rock work...

Swags
12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
They will probably get the munchies and want to watch english sitcom's. :)

KrazyKuch
12-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I believe that scents in the air getting in to the tank depend on your skimmer, Cause we all know how much air gets injected into the water giving it ample time to transfer anything into the water

Pan
12-02-2006, 10:55 PM
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: did you see the smiley face ?