PDA

View Full Version : reeftec

myinfo
10-22-2002, 03:25 AM
Hi:

Anyone has experience with either the Reeftec PE-1 or PE-2. I looks very impressive.

jb1974
10-22-2002, 04:07 AM
I have 2 reeftec pe-2's on our 360g sps tank. IMO, there is no better way to get a massive amount of flow towards the midsection of the tank. Powerheads, and seaswirls just cannot reach all the way through to the middle of a larger tank. I would think, however, that for tanks less than 6 feet in size the pE-2's would be a little excessive (kicking up sand etc..). The other drawback is how large the unit is, which some deem to be unsightly. Again, in a larger tank this is less of an issue. I have no experience with the PE-1's, but am considering putting on 2 units on the far corners. I think with tanks 4-6 feet in length these would work quite well. My husband has put a section of black eggcrate over the output where the propeller is as the units are on wavemakers and shut on and off (I was paranoid about curious fish being pureed).
HTH

:)

myinfo
10-23-2002, 03:49 AM
Hi:

Did you pruchase from him directly, I am having a hard time paying him. He only accept some kind of payment thru City bank.

reefburnaby
10-23-2002, 06:45 AM
Hi,

If you check the reeftec site (I think it is www.reeftec.com), you'll notice that a reefer is having problems with the PE-1 model. It seems that some PE-1s may have some problems with saltwater -- the shaft is corroding. In this remote case, the shaft just shattered. This is relatively new technology (at least from a implementation point of view), so there are still many bugs to work out. Eventually, the propeller powerhead will be as reliable as the regular powerhead...but it will take some time. Reeftec is testing a new pump with written saltwater compatibility (unlike PE-1 where it was a chat over the phone).

I am interested too...but I am waiting to see how this thing pans out. If it doesn't work...sounds like I'll be DIY one myself with a known saltwater powerhead.

- Victor.

jb1974
10-23-2002, 04:17 PM
myinfo: I pm'ed you :)

Terrance Wong
10-24-2002, 12:09 AM
That someone would be me :(. I've got two new pumps, but haven't put them in water yet. It's strange that only one other person had their shaft break, and it happened to me twice!

Other than that, it creates a lot of current.

Terrance

myinfo
10-24-2002, 04:34 AM
Victor:

You are right,may I should wait for things to settle down. Anyhow, if you need a lot of current, how should I go about it. How about Wave 2k.

JimE
10-24-2002, 05:58 AM
IMO, IME, if the shaft is breaking, it is most likely from an imbalance/wobble from the shaft/propeller assy. If you put the old assy on a new pump and it broke again - kind of tells the story. The wobble stresses/flexes and fatigues the shaft and its will eventually snap off clean. Seen it on 3/4" & 1" shafts that look like they have been sliced with a knife. When I first saw the design, I thought the shaft was too long - almost impossible to keep running true without a steady bearing right behind the prop. Just my opinion.

Jim