PDA

View Full Version : when anemones split

windeindoiel
11-30-2006, 01:02 AM
What happens? Does it form another mouth and the anemone pinches itself in half and the two go their seperate ways? Or is it more budding like, where a little anemone starts growing off the side of the big one? Like what does it look like?

Beverly
11-30-2006, 01:43 AM
What happens? Does it form another mouth and the anemone pinches itself in half and the two go their seperate ways?

That's a pretty good description of a BTA splitting, only the new BTA often stays right next to the parent, IME.

Day After the GBTA Splits Video (http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-gbta-split-ja-29-06.wmv)
January 29, 2006
(320 x 240 pixels, 8.7 MB, 1:58 minutes)

J.Lloy
11-30-2006, 05:42 AM
It basically tears itself in two. You will see it trying to go in two directions at once, then after it splits the two ripped edges will come together and heal up.

Kryten
11-30-2006, 06:17 PM
I had a small bta that just split. They both moved about 6 inches away from the original spot (which the bta had chosen for itself) in opposite directions.

RicePaddy
11-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Who would have thought that someone would have a video of a BTA spliting. Berverly, you are simply amazing. That was so awsome to watch.

Will

Beverly
11-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Will :biggrin:

I've got loads of GBTA and RBTA videos. I'll PM you my videos page, which has all kinds of videos along with lots of BTA vids, if you want.

1bigstud
12-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Great Video!! I would love to check some other ones if you dont mind sharing.

Beverly
12-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Here's my video page (http://www.lostmymarblz.com/videos.htm).

Not all the videos are of BTAs, though.

There are a few under the heading Current 120 Gallon Reef,
lots of GBTA vids under Past Reefs: 37 Gallon Videos,
and a few RBTA vids under 67 Gallon Videos (near the bottom of the page).

MoeReefer
12-01-2006, 06:35 PM
very cool Beverly, do the clowns damage the BTA, it sure looks like they are goin at it pretty hard, from the looks it doesnt seem to bother them though.

cheers

Beverly
12-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Jordan,

When putting a BTA and clowns together, I always put the BTA in the tank first so it is established and growing. When I finally introduce the clowns, I do so by hand and release them right by the BTA. I think this gives the clowns a better chance of hosting. Seems to have worked with both the ocellaris pair and their GBTA in the 37g, and the tomato pair and their RBTA. Both pairs of clowns immediately began hosting in their respective BTAs.

The tomato clowns were pretty harsh on each other and the RBTA while they were duking it out for dominance. I was afraid the RBTA would be harmed, but that did not appear to happen.