PDA

View Full Version : Good digital camera

dockrat
11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Im looking for some christmas gifts ideas i would like a good camera to take macros (of my zoos) I used to use my girlfreinds profesional camera but she has moved away for extended schooling so i need a camera capable of taking macros for under $250.00 or $300.00 I know i can spend 600.00 and get a sweet camera but i need a digital controler befor i need a 600.00 camera. Any ideas
Kris

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Check with sumpinfishie about which camera he uses. Rich's pics are really nice & you can see them on the OA website.

dockrat
11-29-2006, 08:23 PM
thanks, It would be nice if i could get that kinda pic quality for under 300.00 but i think he has a pricey camera but i will try to check with him later

CLINT
11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
you might want to look into the Pentax Optio W10 waterproof 6Mp camera awsome camera a friend bought it for fishing but might be great for taking close-ups of corals as well he brought it over and we took some pics and the battery died just when things started to look good.I think its around 300.good camera IMO CLINT

dockrat
11-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks Clint
LOL I wanted a waterproof camera for fishing as well. But did't want to make that a reqirement I think i will takeing a good look at that one... Nice pics
Any one else have some other ideas for me to look at... but i think i have found my camera...
thanks to everyone for helping...

sumpfinfishe
12-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Hey Kris,

I did a quick search for you on http://www.dpreview.com/ and found that for $300 the two camera brands were fuji and samsung with both models having a very low minimum macro distance of under 3cm. Although I would suggest widening your search criteria by a few more features, that way your going to get more bang for your buck even if it's just mainly for taking tank shots. So if you still haven't picked up a camera yet, use the above link it should help you out it making a good descion.

thanks Anthony :wink:

dockrat
12-01-2006, 04:18 AM
thanks every one... thanks for the link sumpfinfishe it will help me a lot
Kris

sumpfinfishe
12-01-2006, 04:36 AM
P.S.
If you wait until after Xmas, most camera companies discontinue there o6 models in late feb. or early mar. so you could get a 5-$600 model for around the price you want to pay. I would narrow down your choices to two models, then simply wait for them to be discontinued, it will save you more $$$ than any boxing day sale and your warranty will still be valid for it's full term.

DanG
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
If you do wait, see if the Canon S3 IS comes down in price. It's currently around 450, but could definately go lower during boxing week. I have one, and it has great macro.

muck
12-01-2006, 04:41 PM
If you do wait, see if the Canon S3 IS comes down in price. It's currently around 450, but could definately go lower during boxing week. I have one, and it has great macro.
Im in the market as well and would love to see some pics from the Canon S3 IS. Think you can post some up DanG? :mrgreen:

Der_Iron_Chef
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of Canons, but own a Nikon 8800 now and it's also a brilliant camera.

If you have an idea for a certain camera, check out this site (http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html), which, in my opinion, has the greatest selection of thorough and objective reviews. However, keep in mind that the list price he gives was the *then* current list price!

dockrat
12-01-2006, 07:43 PM
thanks for all the sujestions it has given me lots to think about, I think i will wait till after christmas to make the purchase... I am leaning toward the pantex Camera line as it is water proof, I perticipate in many water activitys
like boating, scuba diveing, wakeboarding, fishing, surfing and my office floats on ocean... It just makes sense to get a water proof camera for me, and i was planning on getting a water proof camera anyways for these activitys so i might as well buy one camera for all... ecept scuba diveing will be geting a special camera for that someday.... Dose anyone have any personal reviews on the pantex cameras or any experiance... i will be doing some more serching for on line reviews
thanks kris

CLINT
12-01-2006, 08:17 PM
I'd have to agree with Drew canons are awsome I personaly have the S50 and 20D SLR I just think for the money the pentax has a lot to offer as far as versatility but for some sweet pics like these you cant beat canon SLR.Just costs a little more:biggrin: CLINT

dockrat
12-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes Canons are great cameras... My girlfriends cameras where canons, but i would really like some thing water proof for myself... I would recomend a canon to any one that wants a good fool proof Camera

sumpfinfishe
12-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Well my first digi camera was a Canon powershot Elf and I picked up this housing which continues to work great-when I blow the dust off it every 3-4 months. You might be able to get a bundle deal with camera and housing on ebay as the Powershots Elf's are still one of the top selling point and shoot units. Not only foolproof but waterproof too!

http://members.shaw.ca/sumpfinfishe/images/3-18-4camerahouseA.jpg

EmilyB
12-02-2006, 05:04 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the next digital I buy will have stabilization. Really hard to keep the camera steady when trying to pic fish.

tranvictor
12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
The pentax optio is what i bought, i think it was $350 plus tax. It take great underwater videos, a friend of mine took his fishing once, filmed a release of a rainbow trout, great footage, all underwater. I have no complaints about this camera and it has all the bells and whistles.

DanG
12-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Im in the market as well and would love to see some pics from the Canon S3 IS. Think you can post some up DanG? :mrgreen:

I'll host some tonight.