PDA

View Full Version : ideal nano size

naesco
10-22-2002, 02:30 AM
So I see there is a limit of fifteen. Those of you who have had a nano for some time what would you advise the ideal nano to be?

Doing it again would you go for a larger size?

Notwithstanding the limit would you think that twenty might be an ideal size?

How many tangs do you think I could keep in my nano? :wink:

AJ_77
10-22-2002, 04:08 AM
Those on other nano-type boards/forums seem to set 20g as the upper spec limit for these tanks, with a 3-tang maximum. :wink: If I didn't have a 15 tall, I would DEFINITELY want a 20 gallon. I just took down a 10g nano tonight to make room for a bigger tank. There just isn't enought volume in a ten, IMHO and IME.

I really like the 15 tall though. It looks amazing where the TV used to be, and has a similar "screen size." The vertical aquascaping options and challenges are stimulating and rewarding.

Of course, remember I'm still fairly new at all of this - I'm easily impressed. Best times are sitting with my 9-yr-old, faces pinned to the glass. :D

Cheers,

Aj :)

Delphinus
10-22-2002, 05:46 AM
I really like my 20g (well, sometimes, anyways .... the times I don't like it, it's not the size that bothers me, but the way that I've set it up that bothers me -- I've learned so much since the time I set that thing up ... I really didn't know what I was doing). The dimensions of a 20g give several options. It is also, IMO, an ideal footprint size to be lit by a single metal halide bulb.

That said, I don't know if a 20g really qualifies as a "nano." "Mini" maybe ... but not really "nano."

I'd love to try doing some kind of reef with an unused 5g that I have sitting around. The problem is, most things that I have an interest in, tend to get large, and it wouldn't take too long to overcrowd a 5g. I don't even know what kind of fish I could keep in that thing. Juvenile fish maybe ... but it seems to me most things would outgrow it in a matter of months?

EmilyB
10-22-2002, 06:30 AM
Hmm :? I was kind of hoping for a 500g from you naesco....I have this seriously fat clown tang I was hoping to send your way in the next year or two...

Stripey Pants would fit...as long as you upgrade soon..... :roll: :wink: :P

reefburnaby
10-22-2002, 06:47 AM
Hi,

I would go small and cute. This tends to bring up the SAF.

If the tank is too big, then you'll find that it is actually harder to keep it running smoothly. The beauty of the nano is that you rarely need to add supplements except for the weekly water change. Skimmers and reactors are not neccessary or wanted -- it just means more stuff to tweak, buy and upkeep. So, I would choose a size that fits that bill. A very popular tank is the All Glass Bow front 7 gallon tank.

- Victor.

Delphinus
10-22-2002, 03:05 PM
What's the "SAF"? :?

AJ_77
10-22-2002, 03:49 PM
Society of American Foresters?
Société Astronomique de France?
Science and Arts Foundation?
Scottish Athletic Federation?
Satisfaction and Fuflillment?

:D

reefburnaby
10-22-2002, 04:00 PM
Hi,

SAF...Spouse Acceptance Factor. There is also WAF...Wife Acceptance Factor, however not everybody has a wife.

- Victor.

Delphinus
10-22-2002, 04:36 PM
:) I understand now ... :D

Bob I
10-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Society of American Foresters?
Société Astronomique de France?
Science and Arts Foundation?
Scottish Athletic Federation?
Satisfaction and Fuflillment?

:D
Strange Artsy Farts?

naesco
10-23-2002, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the replys.

I will visit a LFS to see what they look like and than get back about the details like lighting.

I am not a DIY type so I think I will be limited by the lighting issue from reading the posts on lighting.

AJ_77
10-23-2002, 01:22 AM
IF you go with a 10 X 20" footprint (eg: 15 tall) then I should flog the extra nano hood I now have available. It is DIY, built by Canadian Man here in Calgary. It has 3 - 18" T8 tubes wired in sequence, driven by a F32T8 electronic ballast. Estimates put its output at ~75 watts.

I'm running the same hood on my 15 tall and it rocks. Good colour, output and intensity, not expensive. :D

Cheers,

Aj

naesco
10-23-2002, 02:33 AM
Thanks AJ I will keep that in mind.

StirCrazy
10-23-2002, 02:51 AM
I am not a DIY type so I think I will be limited by the lighting issue from reading the posts on lighting.

Naesco, I am sure therer would be plenty of people willing to give you a hand rigging up some lights for the tank.. heck if I wasn't on the Island I would even come over and help you.. you do have fire insurance .. right :shock: Joaking :lol:

Steve

naesco
10-24-2002, 01:33 AM
Steve thank you I just may take someone up on their offer once I check out some tanks.

BCOrchidGuy
12-16-2002, 09:35 PM
I've been considering a 7 gallon bow, but I've also been considering a custom 108.. not really a nano in the strictest sense of the term but, still, a nano compared to the pacific... lol

Bob I
12-16-2002, 09:39 PM
One thing about the seven gallon bow. It is a smaller place to throw your money, hence less cost. :D :D :D

BCOrchidGuy
12-16-2002, 10:04 PM
Yeah I guess so but, wow they aren't cheap, for another $200 I can get the custom 108 gallon... stocking either won't be a problem as I have a stocked 20 and a 72 on the go right now.

BCOrchidGuy
12-12-2003, 03:21 AM
To bump this post along, I ended up with a 90 gallon reef, things were going well until the summer. Most of my corals died off from the heat, my 90 gallon tank was hitting 97 degrees. I didn't want to buy a chiller because of the cost, but after loosing probably $2500 worth of corals I guess that was a stupid decision.

I've got a 15 gallon nano set up now, I'm using the Aqualights, a 130watt and a 65 enclosure. The 130 watt is a 65watt actinic with a 65 watt 10,000k while the 65 watt enclosure has a second 10,000k tube. My corals look like they are enjoying all the light (yes there's enough). I'm working on a stand right now, I have two other 15 gallon tanks that have been drilled out. One will be the main/display tank, one will be the sump and one will be the refugium. I'll have a DSB in the refugium, some cleaner shrimp to breed in there, lots of rock/caluperas etc.. I hope this turns out well.

Doug