PDA

View Full Version : lionfish and puffers?

windeindoiel
11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Ok this tank isn't even in the setting up stage yet, it's more a distant dream, that will happen one day. But I figure I might as well ask now if this combo will work, so that I know if I can think about one tank or two tanks that I want set up.

Ok so will a volitans lionfish, a porcupine puffer and a snowflake eel work together? How big of a tank am I looking at to comfortably house these fish when they're all growed up?

For decor I'm thinking two big piles of live rock (probably glued together to make it harder for the moray to do some redecorating) on either side and open space in the middle. Sound good?

Also will any low light corals work with a puffer?

atcguy
11-27-2006, 08:29 PM
will be fine, I had a fish only tank once a 120 g. My lion was huge. I lost 2 puffers but not to the lion. twice I came home to find their one eye stcuk to the intake for my Powerhead, Quite disturbing to see. I would make sure to use seios or some sort of powerhead that will prevent this. Also the eel jumped out of my tank a couple times. well 3 times to be exact I came home to find him on the carpet behind the tank. Dryed out. But put him back in everytime and he jumped back to life. Amazing. Bottom line all 3 will work!!!!

Renegade
11-28-2006, 08:30 AM
r u serious dry'd out and it cames back to life ?!?!

bubblepuffer
11-30-2006, 02:49 PM
When I setting up my first Saltwater/Reef tank, I lost numbers of fish.. even the nasty Blue Damsel that got sucked into the Maxi1200. Then a Porcupine puffer that last for less then 48hrs, cause it got sucked into another intake =( he is still weak at that time as he just new to the tank.. now I cover up all my intake with the filter plastic or some kind of net thing on it. No more fish die from intake.

I am thinking about the same thing, I got a porcupine puffer that I called him/her Chicken as he/she always chicken out from any new animal or thing I introduce into the tank. My dad want to get a Lion fish for the puffer to be the tank mate.. I heard story about Porcupine tried to nip on Lion fish and got stink by it.. so I am still want to find out more about the combination..

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-14-2007, 01:53 AM
I have smaller versions of this combo and its great! I have a 65 with a 6" Green Spotted Puffer, 4.5" Valentini, and a 4" Dwarf Lion Fish...As well as a Flame Angel and Blue Green Chromis. They all get along well but I knew the personalities of the fish before I put them together. Thats the key with Puffers, as they are generally aggressive but you can, as I have, find some which are more passive. I have had the GSP for about two years. He was acclimated from brackish to marine over a year and a half. The Valentini took a while to pick out because I was looking for one who the store had for a while and knew was not nipping fins. I also watched him eat and he was quite passive, perfect for my situation! The Lion just basically ignores the Puffers all together! Hes so cool, just lounging around and hanging upside down on rocks! I was worried about the puffers nipping him but they just ignore him too. The most aggressive fish is the Flame Angel, which doesn't bite but chases its tankmates if they come near its cave!

I have had a Porc before but never with tankmates, so I can't comment on them with other puffers or lions. The porc I speak of is now a family fish at my parents house.

Hope that helps in some way...

Oh, I think the three would work very well together in a 200G, maybe a bit bigger though.

justinl
01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
It rarely happens but sometimes an overzealous puffer may accidentally ram or drop onto the dorsal spines of a lion and get stung so be warned. Still the three would make a very nice combo, just give them a big tank and lots of shelter.

dunl
01-14-2007, 10:29 PM
r u serious dry'd out and it cames back to life ?!?!

Yup, he's serious.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=11154&hl=

Lucky for me, I found him before we went for the weekend....doubt he would have survived that. lol