PDA

View Full Version : inroducing softies

daddy01
11-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi,
I am in the process of changing from FOWL to Nano softies and added Frogspawn which is doing alright for a week, so I added a Nephlea(spelling?) yesterday. It was opened up withing an hour, but to-day It has 'shriveled' up and is not extending? My water parameters seem alright Ammonia=0; Nitrate=0;Ph=8.2; salinity 1.023; lighting T5 with Actnic03 and a Coralife aqualight with 65W Daylight and a 55W daylight giving total of 120W the frogspawn and the Nephlea are in the midrange of the tank which is 21" tall but I have 3" substrate giving height of 18" deep.
I am new to this and thought that would suffice.
Jim

Beverly
11-27-2006, 02:48 AM
Check your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels.

daddy01
11-27-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi Beverly,
thanks for the reply I have a standard Test kit how do you test for magnesium? Is that a separate kit from the Usual Saltwater test kit?
Jim

Der_Iron_Chef
11-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Wait, which one is shriveled?

Some Nephthea (Nephtheum?!) can produce toxins as a sort of "warfare" against other corals. Where are they placed respectively? If the Frog Spawn is shriveled, try placing it upstream from the Nephthea. If the Nephthea is shriveled, and is placed too closely to the Frog Spawn, try distancing them as Frog Spawn have sweeper tenticles that may sting the other coral. Both species are somewhat aggressive.

As Beverly suggested, test for Calcium. Both species also benefit from the addition of Iodine and Strontium.

EmilyB
11-27-2006, 06:23 AM
Tree coral are very hardy. It may take it a while to acclimate.

Beverly
11-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Jim,

Salifert makes magnesium, calcium and alkalinity test kits. They're cheaper if you buy them online, but can also be bought at some SW lfs.

daddy01
11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
My softy is slowly recovering thanks for all the help...I guess I expected everything to happen overnight.
One other question I am running skimmer and adding PHotplankton does skimmer remove that?
Jim

Der_Iron_Chef
11-27-2006, 03:39 PM
The skimmer should remove it if it's doing its job! I turn mine off for an hour or so when I add the phytoplankton.