PDA

View Full Version : Another overflow question ??

Just2Bad
10-21-2002, 04:10 PM
1- How much flow can I andle trough my overflow that is 1,38" ??

2- If I make a durso stand pipe should it be 1,38" like my overflow or a little bit bigger ??

3- If my return pump is a mag12 will I loose to much flow if I devide my return in 2 ??

Thanks...

Just2Bad
10-24-2002, 02:03 AM
Just wanna thank you all for helping a new reefer with is plumbing dilemma.... Hope I haven't waisted to much of your precious time..

With all your supposed knowledge this should be an easy question... no ??? Or maybe because I'm not from the westcoast it's not worthing it...

I've posted 2 times in 2 weeks and 50 viewing each time and no answer!!!

cya..

eposer
10-24-2002, 02:24 AM
You should be able to handle about 1000 gallons per hour or so no problem. Go the same size as the bulkhead as you won't get any added flow without a bigger bulkhead as well. Allow a couple inches above your stand pipe that way if the return is a little too much the water can rise a little above the top of the stand pipe(creating some extra pressure and increasing the flow to match the return). don't glue your standpipe, play with it a bit and see what works. :?

I think maybe the pipe size confused some people. :?:

1" will do about 800 gallons per hour.

1.5" will do about 1600 gallons per hour.

later,
evil westerner :twisted:

AJ_77
10-24-2002, 02:50 AM
Wow, I think your other posts got pretty decent responses, esp. the overflow question. You really shouldn't get so hot and bothered by the lulls here sometimes, it's not a 1500-member board remember.

It's just too bad you couldn't hang on a little while longer for an answer. :wink: OH, look- you got one! :D

Perhaps the way you display measurements threw people off?? I would have guessed that 1,38" would "probably" mean 1 3/8" but perhaps not everyone... Just a hunch.

Cheers, chill,

Aj

StirCrazy
10-24-2002, 03:09 AM
I will respond in a bit.. have to put my daughter to bed first :)

Stay tuned :shock:

Steve

pocilipora
10-24-2002, 03:39 AM
:D Relax

EmilyB
10-24-2002, 04:41 AM
I was going to guess 1 3/8th but not wanting to look like the total DIY idiot I am.....I just wondered if he read the Durso instructions, cuz it said to increase to 1.5 if you were smaller..... :lol:

I figured 1,38 meant something diy significant....
:P :lol: 8) :roll:

StirCrazy
10-24-2002, 05:11 AM
ok chalk me up as another that recomends at least a 1.5" pipe for a overflow on a mad drive 12.. I run two 1.5" overflows and if I close one off the other will just barly handle the flow. so you might get away with a 1 and 3/8" (if thats what you ment) but you will be very close to capacity depending on how you did your piping.. also remember durso's and the other one flow a lower amount that a open pipe also.

Steve

Just2Bad
10-24-2002, 01:41 PM
1,38" should be 1 1/4 sch40. I told you 1,38" cause it's what the guy on the phone form the plastics shop told me. But now that I passed by the plastic shop I know that it's 1 1/4". I've never done plumbing before so I'm a really newbe at this.

If my return pump is a mag12 will I loose to much flow if I devide my return in 2 or maybe 3??

Doug
10-24-2002, 02:00 PM
Sorry to not answer your post. :roll: I have been a little busy with my mothers funeral.

As Steve said, 1 1/2in. is a good size. That would allow an 1 1/4in. Durso. A 1in. Durso on a tank I have, can handle my Iwaki 20, about 500gph. A pair of 1 1/4 overflows can easily handle a 1000 gph.

A Mag 12, split into two, will not have much current. But it depends on tank size and occupants.

Just2Bad
10-24-2002, 02:43 PM
tank is a 90g and I'm planning of keeping mainly sps and clams with about 4 smalls fishes. I want a return pump than can give me great flow and that can be split in 2 return without loosing to much flow. Later when I'll be ready to introduce sps in my tank I'll add a closed loop with a seaswirl.

StirCrazy
10-24-2002, 04:28 PM
I use my mag 12 split into two 1" returns as I wanted a lower flow so I wasn't blasting any paticulat coral with it.. 12 gph though a 1" line is a hard flow. if you split it like I did and still didn't feel it was hard enuf you could always put reducer bushings in the line the restrict it to two 3/4" or even two 1/2" lines (thay way you can change them and even mix and match as you see fit.) personaly I just used the return to make a medium constant curent through my rocks and I use my wave maker to make the water movement in the rest of the tank. if you don't want to use power heads then you will have to use more than just a mag 12, maby 2 of them.. the first split into 2 1" lines to make a genera flow and the second put into 4 to 6 1/2" lines to make you oposing flows.

Steve

TANGOMAN
10-24-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm runnining a Mag 12. My "Durso" is 1 1/4", 1" bulkhead and return line.
It CANNOT handle the flow. My return flow valve is opened just over half way. I've also divided the return outlets in two to "disperse" the current.I'm unsure on the actual GPH I'm getting but it's sufficient when combined with the 801 powerhead in the confines of the 60g corner tank. Any more circultion and it would be a raging river and I'd only be able to keep Salmon.Is your pump installed in-line or submerged ? I find my Mag 12 a little noisy in-line.
I'm rather new to this board but I hope regional, religous, and political/geographical differences are not a contentious issue amongst us all. I get enough of that crap watching the news...

Bob I
10-26-2002, 04:02 PM
I'm rather new to this board but I hope regional, religous, and political/geographical differences are not a contentious issue amongst us all. I get enough of that crap watching the news...

I have never seen any of that stuff on this board. The only regional differences might be that some Far Westeners don't think Calgary water is as great as I think it is, but then even some Calgarians disagree on that topic. We have never had any real wars though. I myself am glad for that. My philosophy is simple ;"If it works for you, great" :D :D