PDA

View Full Version : need input on tangs?

niloc16
11-24-2006, 11:38 PM
today i put a junvenile atlantic blue tang on hold to monitor him for a couple days. anyone had experience or input into this tang. he just arrived at LFS and seems pretty good. a little bit thin but overall nice looking. they are letting me keep him there to ensure he eats.

another one i am looking at is a tomini tang. again anyone have one or has input into this type?

they will be housed in my 265gallon so i'm thinking space will not be an issue

WWWD
11-25-2006, 12:21 AM
today i put a junvenile atlantic blue tang on hold to monitor him for a couple days. anyone had experience or input into this tang. he just arrived at LFS and seems pretty good. a little bit thin but overall nice looking. they are letting me keep him there to ensure he eats.

another one i am looking at is a tomini tang. again anyone have one or has input into this type?

Atlantic blues get very large, even for your tank they will get large! Tomini's once happy with a tanks parameters are very beautiful colourfull happy bristlemouth tangs. Constantly working rocks and looking for algae.

Hey what about a nice juvi cheveron?

niloc16
11-25-2006, 02:18 AM
thanks wwwd. i've been researching the chevron, they are awesome. i'd like to get my hands on one for sure. couldnt find any downsides to them

Ruth
11-25-2006, 02:45 AM
I think that your tank is large enough to house an Atlantic Blue Tang. Although I have never owned one what literature I have read says they get to a max of 9-10" so as long as your tank is at least 6' long and you have a good skimmer on it I think you will be fine. I have a large (probably 12+ inches) Blonde male Naso Tang in my 6' 190g. I skim well and keep my water quality up and he seems to be healthy and happy. He does zoom around the tank though.
If I could get my all time favorite tang it would definately be an Achilles. You would need to have a large quarantine system in place though as they are just about guaranteed to get Ich. If my yellow and Regal tangs were ever to pass on or I decide to sell them I would definately put an achilles in my 230g.

niloc16
11-25-2006, 03:37 AM
hey ruth, the male blonde naso is bluish and the female is grey? do you have pictures of him.

Ruth
11-25-2006, 04:05 AM
I would have thought I had lots of pictures of him as I have had him for 2 years but if they are there I can't find them. I did find this one crappy one though.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/IMG_3766.jpg

Psyire
11-25-2006, 04:18 AM
I have an atlantic blue that is around the 5" mark. He's my favorite fish, and has quite the personality. He's in the middle of his yellow to blue transformation and it's been quite interesting watching this take place. He was only .75" a short 16 months ago.

naesco
11-25-2006, 04:52 AM

Thanks for asking before you buy the fish.
The atlantic blue is great tang to keep but it will end up being the boss fish in your tank.
The Tomini tang is one of the more difficult tangs to keep.
Your tank is large enough to accomodate both fish.
Good Luck

niloc16
11-25-2006, 05:03 AM
thanks for the input guys. nice looking fish ruth.

cav~firez22
11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
hey ruth, the male blonde naso is bluish and the female is grey? do you have pictures of him.

The males can be determined by their tales. Males have long streamers off their tails.

That is a beautiful (blurry) Naso.

I have one too, only about 7" though , in my 65 G. workin on gettin a 180

Ruth
11-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes the males have the long streamers. My fish has streamers that are about 1.5" long.
I think I posted this picture in another thread and you still can't see the streamers but it is a bit better picture. Someday I will master this picture taking stuff.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/Naso.jpg

niloc16
11-26-2006, 05:54 PM
sorry about that. when i was looking up info on it i was on liveaquaria.com and they have a female and a male blonde naso. they depict the male as being a blue hue over the body and the female being grey. misinformation on my part

Ruth
11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Well I just took a closer look at my fish and in fact the streamer are a good 6 inches long. Don't know where I came up with the first #?

niloc16
11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
either way like i said before he is gorgeous. now i know how to sex them. i picked up a half black mimic tang last night. the store exchange it for the naso i lost. the three tangs are doing really really good together. eating and everything. last night was entertaining watching the tomini and atlantic blue getting to know the mimic. no attacks but they do their flashing and fancy dancing. i actually laughed a few times