PDA

View Full Version : Pentair 40w UV Sterilizer

Chaloupa
11-24-2006, 04:02 PM
We bought one of these UV sterilizers and have to say I am less than impressed....I can't comment on the effectiveness of it as it didn't work long enough for us to know. When we got it, after it was backordered for 6+ weeks (no fault of the place we bought it) the bulb that was included was not put together, so we had to get a replacement (at no cost to us). Then putting it together...no so much fun. Lots of plumbing to make it effective with our setup, and to put the UV itself together was a bit mickey-mouse ish. Then we plug it in...and it turns on...then it was off within 12 hours. So we take it all apart and low and behold if water didn't seep into where it shouldn't be and the UV is pretty much toast. If and when we replace it we will be going with the nice and easy Turbo Twister that is easier to put together and plumb and will fit in the cabinet...that's the other thing...this UV is very very tall! So that is our take on the Pentair UV Sterilizer....I hope that this is an exception to the rule rather than the rule with these!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I've used the Turbo-Twist 18w & it hasn't done much for my tanks. On the other hand, I love my Lifeguard 40w, which I credit with keeping my Powder Blue tang alive & healthy through it's initial and later bouts with ick when it got stressed by the Yellow tang.

It's main drawback is that it is also huge, but I've had no problems with it.

Anthony

Dave C
11-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I've got a Lifegard 40w UV and I like it fine. It is a bit Mickey Mouse the way the connection to the bulb is done but once it's connected you just ignore that aspect. It's pretty inexpensive and mine works fine.

Mind you, I also have an Aqua 114w UV and prefer it. It's much smaller because of the way it's configured and easily is strapped under a shelf and plumbed into a sump below the shelf.

Chaloupa
11-25-2006, 12:19 AM
good to hear that ours is a freak not a norm! Thanks guys for the responses...maybe I won't give up on it!

Richy44
11-25-2006, 12:50 AM
I have a 25w lifeguard and it works fine too. Easy to change bulbs...dont have to take everything apart. Just remove the bulb,and install the new one bingo..been good to me over the past 6 years..No, dont give up on it...

Rich........

Chaloupa
12-16-2006, 05:53 PM
We replaced the bulb that got toasted with water, and re-assembled our UV. I can say now that it is up and running and has been for a week or so...can't say how effective it is but what a relief that it actually works! We are happy now. It was the response and the experience of others here that encouraged us to purchase a new bulb and try again.....I am happy that we didn't give up and get a Turbo Twister as I think we would have been unhappy with the performance! A "small" thumbs up for this UV now......we'll see if we have any issues....

As a side note...we don't seem to have any ich in the tank, and were quite concerned with the addition of the Porcupine Puffer who we have been told is an Ich magnet.