PDA

View Full Version : Meet "Bumper"

Chaloupa
11-24-2006, 07:08 AM
We've always wanted a Porcupine Puffer so when Safari in Victoria had this guy...we couldn't resist. He eats well and gets along OK with the rest of the tank but requires a bit of a hand with getting enough food as he is slow!http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/bumper1.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/bumper2.jpg

Johnny Reefer
11-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Excellent choice Sarah. I had my eye on that guy too. He's so endearing.
However, I need fish to eat pellets for when I return to sea in a year from now.
Here's to a good life Bumper! :smile:

Cheers,

OCDP
11-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Cute fish. Good luck with him. I like the permanent smiles on their face. ahha

Joe Reefer
11-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Does he puff up at all?

danny zubot
11-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Cute!:biggrin:

Chaloupa
11-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Nope, no puffing...which is good as puffing up is bad for them. Thanks for the compliments...he is really neat...
:biggrin:Hey Mark, saw him at Japarto's and he was soo healthy and outgoing I just had to have him, and my new shrimp/goby combo that I got from Japarto too! They had a few interesting things there when I was in Vic on the weekend...

Beverly
11-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Stunning pic! Submit it for one of the Photo of the Month contests :biggrin:

christyf5
11-24-2006, 04:50 PM
I agree. Fantastic pic :cool: It doesn't even look like he's in water :razz:

Diana
11-24-2006, 10:49 PM
I love porcupine puffers... and he's a cutie!

Just keep an eye on him... they tend to get ich really easily. Our puffer will get ich just to spite us ;).

Enjoy him!
-Diana

Ruth
11-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Really nice picture and a cool fish. I really like porkies but don't they get big or am I thinking of another puffer?

Chaloupa
11-25-2006, 12:28 AM
thanks for the kind words everyone on the pic...he is pretty cute...and thank you Diana for the caution with ICH. We did have a bout of ich with this tank in the past, dealt with it, and have a UV sterilizer but it is not working...I think I will try harder to get it's problems dealt with so I have another means of fighting ICH on him if it comes to that! Thanks again....

and yeh they do get large Ruth but I don't think they are horribly fast growers....you see I have a method to my madness...husband fell in love with these puffers...so I bought this cute "little" fella....just wait til he finds out I need a really really big tank! ha ha ha!

Ruth
11-25-2006, 01:12 AM
and yeh they do get large Ruth but I don't think they are horribly fast growers....you see I have a method to my madness...husband fell in love with these puffers...so I bought this cute "little" fella....just wait til he finds out I need a really really big tank! ha ha ha!

Atta girl - I like the way you think!

bubblepuffer
11-30-2006, 03:48 PM
U might see your porc to puff from time to time. Porcupine puffer known for the behavior that they like to practicing puff up. I seen mine doing that couple of time already. Mine especially love to puff up when seeing me around the room on the computer and didn't give attention to him. He spit water to the tank top. if still not getting attention, he puffed.

I asked the Puffer Forum, and it's normal behavior for Porcupine puffer to puff up for attention.

Skimmer Juice
11-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Nice puff! I was looking for the ones with the tassle's, but ended up just getting a regular one super cute. My dogface and my mappa puff had both puffed up for no apparent reason, I was scared at first but now I know not to worry. As for the ich I find any fish can get it fairly easy, I had an out break from adding a peice of live rock. Just keep a qt on hand, I use cupprimine to treat all my fish, just remember to add it slow. Good luck with bumper.

bubblepuffer
12-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Good to hear that your puffer is alright. Mine got ich twice while I am on vacation and someone look after the fish. I didn't take him out to qt tank because I read that from the pufferforum that will put more stress to the fish. What I did is just keep the water change coming more frequently, feeding with vitamins and garlic extract added to the food.. and the Puffer will recover and back to normal very fast. As long as they are happy and didn't feel stress out, you will always see the smile on their face.

Currently waiting for my 250g tank for the basement as a puffer tank. Will mixed of Green spot, dog face and a Porc.. not sure about my baby blue tang.. lol she/he so tiny and live with my porcupine right now.

Chaloupa
12-01-2006, 03:54 PM
No Ich yet.....I was concerned as we did battle ich in this tank a few months ago....so far so good. And he eats well but I only feed by hand 2-3 times per week the rest is up to him to scavenge. My biggest worry now is overfeeding him as he is sooo fun to feed!

Stinky-Good to know that there is a possibility that he will puff too and that it won't be harmful....didn't know that and hadn't read it .... so thanks!:biggrin: I quite like the tassles too...hadn't seen any with them before and thought it was really neat.

bubblepuffer
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Well..hehe you will have fun with your fish.. I think every puffer behave differently. Mine is crazy and eat like a pig. Thanks to over skimming to help keep water clean. I need to feed him/her (don't know the gender) everday.. if not you can hear the fish grinding the teeth on the glasswall. After you feed a your fish for couple of fish, that fish will recognise you everytime you walk into the room. Mine will swim up as soon as I enter the door and that fish will look through the glass following me around when I walk around my bedroom. Poor hermit crabs in my tank ..only few manage to survive from the hungry fish =) I fed mine raw prawn from Safeway.

bubblepuffer
12-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh yeah.. the Porcupine is known for the behaviour of spitting water out of the tank.. =) so beware of metal object near the tank. If there there is a MH light bulb or any light without cover, better cover it with plexie glass, don't want water touch a hot bulb .. might constantly spit water during feeding time.. that fish is good at aiming at your eye balls.. =(

Chaloupa
12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
ha ha ha .... too funny...he has spit at me a couple of times. When I first got him I was fairly concerned because he just sits around most of the day, then when the halide goes off he comes out in early evening and is really really busy all night....I watched him after lights out and that seems to be "his" time to play. Now the rabbitfish (who I was selling due to behaviour with the puffer) has mellowed and since both are on different activity times they seem to be co-existing fairly better than before.

Chaloupa
12-08-2006, 02:30 AM
entered him in the photo of the month contest for December.....:biggrin:

bubblepuffer
12-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi,

It's normal for Porc to be like that. I don't remember the specific name for it, Porc is a nite fish.. only active during night time and day time mostly hiding under rock any where he can get some shade to fall asleep... so someone might be looking at ya while you sleep at night if the fish in your bedroom =)

Chaloupa
12-09-2006, 12:09 AM
He's "nocturnal" then...good to know! Thanks! And I am thankful he's not in my room...he's in the kitchen!