PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of Aptasia?

Fishfanatic
11-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi I have some aptasia anenomes and I am having trouble getting rid of them. They are on a rock with coral so I can't remove the rock and I have tried injecting them with Lemon juice, but still they survive. Any one have some other methods to remove them from a reef tank?

Razz
11-23-2006, 12:48 AM
I had the same problem, and have it just about under control now??? but I started with Joes Juice , some say Kalkwasser is the same and a CBB. I liked the Joes juice as it seemed to kill on the fist try, or maybe I was just lucky, but the copper band seems to be keeping any new ones in control.

TRS
11-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Copperbands are hit and miss. I lucked out and got one that eats Aiptasia, but also eats my Spaghetti worms, Brittle Stars and Featherdusters. You might also want to try a few Peppermint Shrimp. They sure helped out in my tank.

marie
11-23-2006, 12:58 AM
I have a pair of peppermint shrimp in my zoa/shroom tank and they are probably the only animals in my aquariums that actually earn their keep. They even take on the large ones :mrgreen:

Fishfanatic
11-23-2006, 03:02 AM
I forgot to mention that pepermint shrimps are out as I have a picasso, blue linned and clown trigger. Maybe I'll try a copperband but I am worried they will eat my corals.

whitsunday
11-23-2006, 03:16 AM
My peppermint shrimp loves aptasia...........maybe you could lend the rock to a someone close by with a peppermint shrimp or two..for cleaning and to give their shrimp a treat....aptasia lasts in my tank only a day or two

marcingo
11-23-2006, 03:39 AM
I forgot to mention that pepermint shrimps are out as I have a picasso, blue linned and clown trigger. Maybe I'll try a copperband but I am worried they will eat my corals.

Sorry to change the topic but I have been wondering if Picasso triggers can be in reef tanks? Have you ever had any trouble with him picking at corals or do the picassos just kill snails/shrimp/hermits? Also what kind of corals do you mainly have? Has he killed any corals before?

Again sorry for changing the subject just wondering though.

Johnny Reefer
11-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Sorry to change the topic but I have been wondering if Picasso triggers can be in reef tanks? Have you ever had any trouble with him picking at corals or do the picassos just kill snails/shrimp/hermits? Also what kind of corals do you mainly have? Has he killed any corals before?

Again sorry for changing the subject just wondering though.
Good question. It's my understanding that none of those Triggers are reef safe. I have 4 Trigs. Picasso; Clown; Blue Chin; Pink Tail. All in a FOWLR tank. I've been told that Zoo's will be fine and I intend on trying this after I move/upgrade in December.
Having said that....maybe the corals mentioned above are zoo's.

As for the Aiptasia....may I suggest doing a search on this topic :wink:. There's got to be I don't know how many threads on this. Heck, there was two just last week. JMO.

Cheers,