PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer feeding the fudge

TRIX
11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I was thinking of having the water comming out of the skimmer feeding the fudge. Would this work or woould the water comming out of the skimmer be to clean and pointless for the fudge

WWWD
11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah the whole point of the fuge is for it to work on some nutrients, well that and grow pods.

Pescador
11-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Skimmer water fudge mmmmmmm.....:biggrin:

Is it a seperate refugium or in your sump?
Is it the only water flow to the fuge?
Try to have your skimmer upstream from your fuge to get the raw water from your tank then I don't think it matters if the skimmer discharges into the fuge. It might help with bubbles depending on how your setup.

My skimmers are at the return end of my sump, which isn't the greatest and they discharge back into a sock in the refugium.

TRIX
11-22-2006, 10:34 PM
The fudge will be in the sump. I was thinking of using the skimmer to feed water to the fudge. I figured it would be a bad idea but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll just plumb a line from the overflow in to it.

Dale
11-23-2006, 04:07 AM
It's not a bad idea at all.
The nutrient used by macro algae in your fuge is mainly ionic nitrate, not the raw dissolved organic matter removed by a skimmer. Using skimmer effluent won't "rob" your macro of nutrients. Feeding the fuge via the skimmer return may actually have the positive effect of cutting down on the detritus trapped in the macro algae. Regardless, a skimmer does not completely clean the water of organic matter as it's passing through it anyways - it is more of an accumulative effect over time.

When I saw someone running skimmer water through the fudge I was more than a little concerned for Marc :mrgreen:

SuperFudge
11-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Heh,

I was concerend for me too, sounds like it`d hurt. :D

EmilyB
11-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Yummy Fudge !:mrgreen: