PDA

View Full Version : Automatic feeding for brine eating fish

tknude
11-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on how to feed a fish automatically that only eats brine? As far as I know this only comes frozen. The fish is a cow fish and will not eat pellets. I am trying to convert him but his is very picky. Will be going away for 8 days over Christmas and need to keep him fed.

Ideas?

Ted.

Johnny Reefer
11-22-2006, 01:02 AM
IMO if you feed it substantially over the days prior to your departure, it should be alright going without over the 8 days.
When I got back into aquariums back in '94 I left for 28 days running a cheapo POS Penn Plax auto-feeder. When I got back I had discovered that the thing had jammed on day one. Thus, my juvie Oscars went 28 days without a speck of food and they survived, albeit hungry.
I know with FW fish there is a "dry season" when food is scarce due to low water levels. Consequently, FW fish are "programmed" to deal with it. Not sure if/how this applies to SW, however.

HTH and cheers,

fkshiu
11-22-2006, 01:54 AM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/food.php?product_ID=fd-tbsfeed

Richy44
11-22-2006, 02:09 AM
fkshiu - Those work good but only for 1 day, then you have to reload it.....

Rich

fkshiu
11-22-2006, 04:09 AM
fkshiu - Those work good but only for 1 day, then you have to reload it.....

Rich

Maybe he could fill an autofeeder with some eggs and have it dump in a new batch each day? :)

Richy44
11-22-2006, 04:15 AM
Hmmm, good thought!:idea:

Richy44
11-22-2006, 04:15 AM
Or get someone to come over and feed the fish...............:biggrin:

Farrmanchu
11-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Autofeed the eggs to the Fuge if you have one.

jws444
11-22-2006, 05:03 AM
You guys are kidding right? A cowfish won't even be able to see newly hatched brine shrimp, let alone chase it down to eat it. I think the original poster was referring to frozen adult sized brine shrimp or mysis. Cows need meaty foods along with nori for fibre.

The only thing that comes to mind is to try some freeze dried blood worms. See if he'll accept it first before buying an autofeeder. You don't want to come home to 8 days of uneaten food laying at the bottom of the tank. Good luck!

fishface
11-22-2006, 07:20 AM
i read a good trick but i'm not too sure how long it would work for but it may be something to consider. get a film canister or perhaps something larger and put a small hole in the top. drop the brine shrimp eggs in and put the whole thing in the tank. viola! when they hatch they swim outta the hole and the egg casing are left in the container!