PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto in a filter

marcingo
11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey everyone.

I came up with an idea and wanted to know what everyone thinks and whether it would work or not. Basically I have read of all the benefits of Chaeto but do not have room for a refugium or sump. Here is my question. I have a big filter- double sided (hob) and I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible for me to put chaeto in it- if it is in the filter will it die? Does it have certain space requirements? It will recieve light from my MH since I can just take the top off the filter. The filter would just run with chaeto in it nothing else. I have a few extra filters that I could do this with. What does everyone think could this work? I dont have any knowledge about chaeto or any of its requirements but have read all over the message board that it is a good thing to have which is why im thinking of doing this.

Thanks.

Delphinus
11-22-2006, 01:39 AM
It should work. I grew chaeto in an Aquaclear for a while ... although I used 2x9PC's to light over the Aquaclear. If it gets light spilled out from the main tank you should manage..

marcingo
11-22-2006, 01:42 AM
what else does chaeto need? Is it used primarily for nutrient export? Any negatives to using chaeto? Thanks.

Delphinus
11-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Just light and some current. I guess it's primarily for nutrient export. Some fish like to eat it but it's usually pretty hard to digest. I can't think of any negatives ... unlike caulerpa or halimeda it won't sporulate on you making a mess of your tank. Pods and worms and brittle stars like to hang out in it.

marcingo
11-22-2006, 02:14 AM
When you had it in your aqua clear filter did it ever float out of the filter or does it sink in water? If it does float what did you find was the best way to keep it in the filter?
Also do you know if its readily accessible in most LFS's? How do you tell if its healthy or not when buying it from the LFS?
Thanks.

Delphinus
11-22-2006, 02:18 AM
It does float but if you get a large enough wad of it, it will just jam in. Sometimes a little string of it would fall out of the filter and then dangle in the current but I never really had a problem with it falling out. Worst case scenario you can take a small piece of live rock to hold it in place. Once it starts to grow it will just fill in and not move around so much.

marcingo
11-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Great thanks. So I just let it grow and when it starts growing out of the filter I just need to cut it correct?

Delphinus
11-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Pretty much :) If it starts to take off you can find yourself pruning it every week or two.

marcingo
11-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Great thanks for the help.

Now time to find some :lol:

bassman
11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
The only other thing I would suggest is turning it over from time to time. I rotate/flip mine once a week or so. I do it to ensure the entire piece is getting proper light.

marcingo
11-22-2006, 03:24 PM
sounds good. Thanks.