PDA

View Full Version : Wii availability (Calgary)

spikehs
11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
I tried to pick one of these up on Sunday with no luck... does anyone know where to get one? or where will get em in again next? Thanks!

Tarolisol
11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I looked around to yesturday but couldnt find one, there is suppose to be another shipment this week sometime though. Also there will be 4million in north america by christmas is what nintendo has said.

spikehs
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I looked around to yesturday but couldnt find one, there is suppose to be another shipment this week sometime though. Also there will be 4million in north america by christmas is what nintendo has said.

any idea what stores will be getting them in this week? I talked to a few who said it'd be about 2weeks... if you find out please let me know! thanks.

OCDP
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Ditto, I'd like to find a Wii myself. They look like fun, plus I am big fan of Nintendo.

muck
11-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Ditto, I'd like to find a Wii myself. They look like fun, plus I am big fan of Nintendo.

NERD :razz:

haha.. I don't see the huge craze with video games.

:lol: :lol:

OCDP
11-20-2006, 05:02 PM
:lol: :lol:

Sheesh. That post was made in referral to standing outside in lines for days on end for a console. I should have specified, obviously .. ?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Haha, busted.

OCDP
11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Busted??

I like Nintendo.... :mrgreen:

Oh, PS: I'm a huge Counter-Strike nerd. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pescador
11-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Had a lot of fun with Counter Strike. I'm so old I played the first Doom on a 14.4k modem.
Anybody that used to play Duke Nukem? that was a riot.
Now it's Gears of War and Call of Duty3 on 360.

Midknight
11-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Geeee..... I had the original Pong machine... Now I feel really old...:sad:

WWWD
11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
I want COD 3 for my PSP.. I still remember the days of dialing up on a modem to play Doom with friends and having lan parties playing duke, wheeee!

Now all I play is an old version of DOD.

Pescador
11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
You owned one? Awesome, I had to pump in the quarters.

Nothing like the old modem strings trying to hook up with your buddy
setblaster=#$#$%%%$++((()_+_

Tarolisol
11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Had a lot of fun with Counter Strike. I'm so old I played the first Doom on a 14.4k modem.
Anybody that used to play Duke Nukem? that was a riot.
Now it's Gears of War and Call of Duty3 on 360.

Gears of war, i just purchased that today, hopefully it will be fun.

mr_alberta
11-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Anyone play the game "Snafu" on the Intellevision? :razz:

OCDP
11-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Do you all think the Wii will be too much in the sense that your going to have to wave your hands around all the time? Or do you think they show commercials like that and what not for dramatization? I couldn't imagine sitting around with some friends waving my arms around like a big goof. Surely it's not like that, and you would be able just to use hand motions.

That's the one thing I'm having truobles deciding on.

spikehs
11-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Do you all think the Wii will be too much in the sense that your going to have to wave your hands around all the time? Or do you think they show commercials like that and what not for dramatization? I couldn't imagine sitting around with some friends waving my arms around like a big goof. Surely it's not like that, and you would be able just to use hand motions.

That's the one thing I'm having truobles deciding on.

tough to say... i wonder if you can controll some "regular" styles as well?

Tarolisol
11-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Im pretty sure you can just use hand motions, i think they over dramatize the commercials, although for some games you might need a little more movement, tennis for example.

OCDP
11-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, it would be interesting to know how sensitive the controllers are, or if you can control the sensitivity. Also, it'd be nice if there were a feature to just use a controller, but that takes away all that makes "Wii" I suppose.

The commericals are way too over the top, it's too hard to get an idea of how the controllers work. I seen a couple actual videos of people using it and one guy was playing NFS , and just moving his hands and that's it.. no waving the arms around and so on...

Tarolisol
11-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see when someone gets one. Also did you know the PS3 has the same motion sensitivity as the Wii's controlers.

spikehs
11-20-2006, 08:07 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see when someone gets one. Also did you know the PS3 has the same motion sensitivity as the Wii's controlers.

well its not quite the same, it can only sense tilts, not movement... as far as i know anyways...

OCDP
11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah, Playstation doesn't do anything for me unfortunately. I sold my PS2 because I just wasn't having any fun with it. I like Nintendo, they're all about the fun, not the technical stuff. Seems that Sony and Microsoft are more into making super computer consoles rather than focusing on the fun of gaming (MY personal opinion).. Also, the Wii gives an arcade feel to it, which I like.

Also, I like the price of Wii over Xbox, PS3, etc.. I would feel very uneasy about spending over 700$ on video game consoles/games, etc..

Pan
11-20-2006, 08:22 PM
I bought a ps3 and a wii for my nephew....that was an experience i've never seen people so worked up over video gaming machines...you'd think you were in a salt store sheesh :P)

Pescador
11-20-2006, 10:46 PM

Oh yeah and football, and a tank game.

spikehs
11-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Just called FutureShop (near chinook) and they are going to have some in tomorrow at 10am.... arg, i have to work!!! makes me laugh at the people paying double the price! haha.

LostMind
11-20-2006, 10:54 PM
My buddy has a Wii and says he works up a sweat playing boxing...

OCDP
11-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Just called FutureShop (near chinook) and they are going to have some in tomorrow at 10am.... arg, i have to work!!! makes me laugh at the people paying double the price! haha.

Bummer...

I'll let you all know if I find somewhere getting some in .

AndyL
11-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Aww c'mon - Commodore 64 was the ultimate gaming machine! I miss my jumpman Jr, and loading off cassettes (yeah we had the 5 1/4" drive, but the cassette was faster). No the emulators aren't the same - speeds are all screwed up on em...

adidas
11-21-2006, 01:36 AM

lol... i used to play that

OCDP
11-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, I think the Wii is sold out everywhere for the most part.

Bummer.

OCDP
11-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Whoooooo ....

So, I called almost every electronical store possible today at work (no lie). Come the end of the day as I am leaving work, I write down all the zellers telephone numbers. As I am on the train home, I call all the zellers. I get a hold of the zellers on 17th ave.... "We have 4 in" .. :exclaim: :exclaim:

I get there shortly after, in a huge rush... call before I'm about there, down to 2 left (selling extremely fast, obviously)... I get there, still 2 left.. I snatch one right up, and the second she pulls it out of the cabinet, someone takes the other right after me. Another two people come in as I'm paying for mine wanting a Wii. Talk about luck. They just recieved them in today at noonish.

If your after one, all's I can suggest is calling every and any location... I spent literally all day on the phone trying to find one.

I'll let you all know how it goes, I'll post pics of it as well.

spikehs
11-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Well I called at 3pm today to Walmart, they had 9 in, I got there at 4 and they were all gone!!!!!! Its gunna be impossible getting one w/ work hours... guess I'll keep trying!

OCDP
11-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Bummer.. keep calling around... they're bound to pop up somewhere.

The wii is well worth the money.. and I've only played the Wii sports. I bought NFS Carbon today... Zelda is just as hard to find as the Wii, so that was my second choice. I'll let you all know what it's like.

Tarolisol
11-23-2006, 05:11 AM
There are tons of Wii games at shawnnessy future shop as well as wal mart lots of zelda

OCDP
11-23-2006, 05:50 AM
There are tons of Wii games at shawnnessy future shop as well as wal mart lots of zelda

I found a copy this evening. Will start tomorrow.. NFS Carbon is fun stuff.

Tarolisol
11-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Ive been playing carbon on the PS3 whats it like with the strange controlers.

OCDP
11-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Ive been playing carbon on the PS3 whats it like with the strange controlers.

Dude, it's so much fun. It's a good game to sit down with , you just use the wii remote vertically and use it as a steering wheel. It's pretty damn accurate, too.

Going to start Zelda today. Just reading up on the wifi connection , I guess you can send text messages to other Wii people by adding them .

spikehs
11-23-2006, 04:41 PM
is need for speed worth buying? how many people for the multiplayer? I wanted to get a racing game w/ the wii as well...

spikehs
11-24-2006, 02:58 PM
finally found myself one, at the rogers on 17th, they had 3 when i called, got there, bought one, then another guy got 2. picked up zelda + need for speed, and one extra controller... this machine is soo much fun, the graphics are not the greatest, especially on a high def tv, oh well, i new that was the case (need to get the component cables now, for 480p)... All the wii sports games are great (tennis and golf are my favorite). Zelda is awsome as well (no surprise there)... Need for speed is REALLY hard, the controls are super sensitive, has anyone got the hang of it yet? definatley worth it...

OCDP
11-24-2006, 03:06 PM
finally found myself one, at the rogers on 17th, they had 3 when i called, got there, bought one, then another guy got 2. picked up zelda + need for speed, and one extra controller... this machine is soo much fun, the graphics are not the greatest, especially on a high def tv, oh well, i new that was the case (need to get the component cables now, for 480p)... All the wii sports games are great (tennis and golf are my favorite). Zelda is awsome as well (no surprise there)... Need for speed is REALLY hard, the controls are super sensitive, has anyone got the hang of it yet? definatley worth it...

I think the thing is with this unit, is that the fun outweighs the graphics. I tend to not even care at this point. Having said that, I don't find the graphics all that bad.

How much for a second controller? Did it come with the nunchuck, too?

Tennis and Golf are my fav's as well. Zelda is going to be good, just as you said.. no surprise there. NFS is not that hard after an hour or so of playing. I'm really starting to get the hang of it. You honestly have to use the controller as a real steering wheel. You gotta straighten out , etc.. I find on corners, ease off the gas until you hit the sharpest point of the corner then hti the gas again.

You'll get it soon enough...

PS: If you find NFS hard, do not bother with call of duty 3.. it seems very tough. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is boring also, not what I was expecting. Glad I rented those two.

Cool that you found one... prepare to nerd it up.. it's addicting.

spikehs
11-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I think the thing is with this unit, is that the fun outweighs the graphics. I tend to not even care at this point. Having said that, I don't find the graphics all that bad.

How much for a second controller? Did it come with the nunchuck, too?

Tennis and Golf are my fav's as well. Zelda is going to be good, just as you said.. no surprise there. NFS is not that hard after an hour or so of playing. I'm really starting to get the hang of it. You honestly have to use the controller as a real steering wheel. You gotta straighten out , etc.. I find on corners, ease off the gas until you hit the sharpest point of the corner then hti the gas again.

You'll get it soon enough...

PS: If you find NFS hard, do not bother with call of duty 3.. it seems very tough. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is boring also, not what I was expecting. Glad I rented those two.

Cool that you found one... prepare to nerd it up.. it's addicting.

Found the controller + nunchuck at walmart (westbrook mall).. think it was about $70 for both, kinda pricey, but to be expected... i can't wait for a tiger woods type golf game, and a hockey game, that'll be sweet, slap shots, you could even be the goalie...

Tarolisol
11-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Now I really want a Wii, i guess im going to start calling every store in calgary.

spikehs
11-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Now I really want a Wii, i guess im going to start calling every store in calgary.

I think it was either the Walmart at MacKenzie or Shawnessy store that was supposed to be getting in 20 today (or so i was told)... give them a try... call the walmarts anyways, they seem to get em in all the time.

Tarolisol
11-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Well ive called every store i can think of and there all sold out, many had some in this morning but are gone now.

SJSobczyk
11-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Now i want one too. Trying to convince the wife its a good educational tool for the kids, the problem is the kids are only 2 years old. Way to lazy to call around as well.

Steve

spikehs
11-24-2006, 08:56 PM
FYI HMV started to get them in as well (only the westhills and steven ave locations)... not sure how often they'll get em in, but i don't think many people know that.

OCDP
11-27-2006, 05:28 PM
So, what do you think so far Sean??

I haven't had much time to work on Zelda, but so far it looks like it's going to be a gooder.. lots of strategy and a very complex map.

NFS is good, exactly what you'd expect.. but with the Wiimote, it makes it that much more fun to play. Drifting is pretty sweet.

I rented Call of Duty 3, and Marvel Alliance last week. Skip the Marvel Alliance , IMO .. it's very lame, the camera setup is just silly (top down, starcraft/warcraft style) Pretty cheesy. COD3 is OK .. controls seem very touchy and hard to get a feel of, I am sure if I had sat down with it for a couple hours I would have got it, but just wasn't that interested in it anyhow.

So far, I am still quite pleased...the Wii sports is no longer fun, I think the lack of options and gameplay, but that's fine.. the game was made to show the capabilities of the Remote. The graphics could be better, but hey.. what can ya do. I expected more (graphic wise) from Zelda, but then I found out this was to be a Gamecube game, and they didnt' end up realeasing it, and used it for the Wii instead. Still a really fun game... Zelda is a legend.

I'm looking to buy a 3rd game, but don't know what yet.... so if you've played some games I haven't. . let me know how they are, and I'll do the same

spikehs
11-27-2006, 05:46 PM
well, so far i like it, i do wish the wii sports had more options, but its still fun, especially when there is "newbies" over, they can't get enough of it. Zelda is really good so far, I agree the grapics aren't great, but i think the component cables should help (so it outptus 480p instead of 480i) Take a look at this comparision: http://au.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html?sid=6162297&page=2 ... the cables are sold out though, and are going for 5x the amount on ebay! some people are nuts!

Haven't gotten good at NFS yet, i still crash all the time, it seems REALLY sensitive to me, oh well, just need some practice i guess. Haven't played anything else, my buddy said Red Steel is awsome though... wanna get 2 more wiimotes (i think 2 nunchucks is enough).. Can't wait for a full version golf to come out.

OCDP
11-27-2006, 05:56 PM
well, so far i like it, i do wish the wii sports had more options, but its still fun, especially when there is "newbies" over, they can't get enough of it. Zelda is really good so far, I agree the grapics aren't great, but i think the component cables should help (so it outptus 480p instead of 480i) Take a look at this comparision: http://au.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html?sid=6162297&page=2 ... the cables are sold out though, and are going for 5x the amount on ebay! some people are nuts!

Haven't gotten good at NFS yet, i still crash all the time, it seems REALLY sensitive to me, oh well, just need some practice i guess. Haven't played anything else, my buddy said Red Steel is awsome though... wanna get 2 more wiimotes (i think 2 nunchucks is enough).. Can't wait for a full version golf to come out.

Sweet.. now I have to hunt down the component cables! I will let you know if I find some, if you'll do the same... the difference is pretty insane..

I agree.. it's fun to see the newbies react to the console.. it really is a neat experience. Also, it's a lot more fun when your playing Wii sports with two people , rather than against the computer.

Try going into the NFS options and adjusting your sensitivity.. all games should have this option now. I didn't have to adjust mine, but obviously some people will need to.. I'd look into that.

I asked for another Wiimote for x-mas, as playing with two people is going to be a blast.

OCDP
11-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Question.. are the cables only available online right now? And , do you need an HD tv in order to use the cables?

impreza
11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Question.. are the cables only available online right now? And , do you need an HD tv in order to use the cables?

I really don't think that you would need an HDTV to you the component cables since the Wii doesn't output in 720p or 1080i.

spikehs
11-27-2006, 09:52 PM
actually i dont think they are available ANYWHERE right now... should be online shortly (3rd party component cables) from what I have read the "official" nintendo versions wont be shipping till mid/end month?? But if you find em let me know!! Impreza was right, you don't need an hdtv for it, 480p is considered "DVD" quality... not HD.

OCDP
11-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Ahh , thanks for the clarification guys.

Yes, they don't seem to be available anywhere right now. The whole concept seems silly to me... "plug this in for better graphics" haha.. why not just ship the Wii and have these component cables included.

Having said that.. I know I'll end up buying it once I find them... the difference seems quite noticeable.

I'll let you know if I find anything and vice versa .. :)

Tarolisol
11-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Could someone explain to me how you intend to use compnents cables(made for HDTVs) to replace composite cables. Unless you have an HDTV it would be useless. Since TVs dont come with component hook ups unless they are HDTV ready.

OCDP
11-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Hah.. hence my original question.

Are the cables only used for HDTV's ...

That answers my question.

spikehs
11-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Could someone explain to me how you intend to use compnents cables(made for HDTVs) to replace composite cables. Unless you have an HDTV it would be useless. Since TVs dont come with component hook ups unless they are HDTV ready.

ohh..... i thought some regular tv's had component hook ups... guess not! I stand corrected :).. good news is i do have an HDTV!

TAZ
11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Here is a great video that shows a cute kid playing Wii Golf. Gets very entertaining at the end of the video :-)

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/clips-wee-golf-217224.php

impreza
11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
ohh..... i thought some regular tv's had component hook ups... guess not! I stand corrected :).. good news is i do have an HDTV!

Most regular TV's have component hookups. Most flat screen CRT's like the Panasonic Tau, Sony Wega's, etc., all have component hookups. They just don't display in 720p or 1080i, but display in 480p (DVD quality).

Even look at EDTV plasma's, they are not HDTV's and are not capable of displaying HD resolutions, however, they still have compnents hook ups.

Funky_Fish14
11-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Anybody that used to play Duke Nukem?

Wow, I played that on the N64 about... 8 years ago? That was indeed a pretty fun game!

Yeesh, I get the Nintendo emails, and I didnt even know this puppy was comming out:lol:

Matt
11-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Could someone explain to me how you intend to use compnents cables(made for HDTVs) to replace composite cables. Unless you have an HDTV it would be useless. Since TVs dont come with component hook ups unless they are HDTV ready.I've got an old Sony here with component inputs, but it can only do 480i (not even progressive). Still, the picture quality is significantly better using those inputs than with svideo or composite.

gbeef
11-30-2006, 03:40 PM
the wii can only go 480p and you cant even get the cable for it in the store you have to order it online, (which is backordered.) you could get one on ebay for 150.00 BUCKS!!!!../

OCDP
11-30-2006, 04:16 PM
hah, im not that desperate for the cables. I don't even find the current graphics that bad...

Gameplay over graphics.....

spikehs
11-30-2006, 04:29 PM
hah, im not that desperate for the cables. I don't even find the current graphics that bad...

Gameplay over graphics.....
I'll be lookin for the cables as soon as they come in, but i am not going to pay $150 for em! some people are nuts... they seem to be going for about $70 for the non nintentdo ones (which you can buy online for 6 bucks).. .Some people are getting hosed. haha.

Tarolisol
12-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Well i finaly got me a Wii. Just happen to come in while i was christmas shopping at walmart. So far ive only played the sports games but im addicted. Now i have to find some more controlers. Also the component cables are 50 bucks and come out on the 11th. cant wait to get zelda.

spikehs
12-08-2006, 02:26 PM
nice, what are your favorite sport games so far? I'd say golf/tennis/bowling for me... just shot a -5 in golf yesterday, now only if it would help me with my real game!! I got my component cables form the nintendo site, they should arrive today actually, with shipping it cost me about 50bucks.

OCDP
12-08-2006, 04:14 PM
I was about to revive this thread too.

So far I am most addicted to NFS. I like it a lot... Zelda is awesome as well. I quite enjoy the both of them.

I want to try Far Cry when it comes out, looks like another one I'll purchase.

Are controllers really hard to find at the moment? I was thinking of just ordering one online with the component cables from Nintendo, if that's possible. I haven't looked into it yet.

Let me know what the component cables are like.

OCDP
12-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey guys,

Can controllers be ordered through Nintendo? If so, could you help me out with a link? I can't seem to find anything?

Also, if anyone finds controllers locally, please let us know.. I am going to start calling around for some soon, and I'll post back if I find anything.

Tarolisol
12-09-2006, 03:36 PM
nice, what are your favorite sport games so far? I'd say golf/tennis/bowling for me... just shot a -5 in golf yesterday, now only if it would help me with my real game!! I got my component cables form the nintendo site, they should arrive today actually, with shipping it cost me about 50bucks.

Im a fan off most of them, accept baseball is a little to simple. And was it 50 american or canadian,

Also i have had no luck at finding another controller.

spikehs
12-09-2006, 03:57 PM
50cad.... with shipping etc.

Canadbis
12-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

Can controllers be ordered through Nintendo? If so, could you help me out with a link? I can't seem to find anything?

Also, if anyone finds controllers locally, please let us know.. I am going to start calling around for some soon, and I'll post back if I find anything.

Saw some for sale on amazon.ca.
But that is about it.

Pan
12-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Saw some for sale on amazon.ca.
But that is about it.

Toys R Us had a couple a few days ago....try them

Tarolisol
12-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Just a question for the other Wii owners, how often is your blue light surrounding the disc slot on?

spikehs
12-11-2006, 12:33 PM
I think mine only comes on when i put a disk in.... i think, never paid much attention to it,

michika
12-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Wii is totally worth it!
Zelda is good, sports is pretty good too!
I picked up two on Saturday morning after hanging out all night at Zellers in West Ed.

Jason McK
12-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Dam, I can't seem to find one in Vancouver or area. This is really getting crazy. How does everyone know when they are in the stores.

J

michika
12-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Call call call!
I picked mine up from Zellers, but if you call Best Buy or Future Shop, even EB games, they generally tell you when the next shipment is expected to arrive. Then the night before you pack up your car, bundle up and go wait outside.

OCDP
12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Dam, I can't seem to find one in Vancouver or area. This is really getting crazy. How does everyone know when they are in the stores.

J

Hah... I called around all afternoon, probably about 2-3 hours worth of calling. Called store after store, and was about to give up, and I called a Zellers which had a shipment come in that day.. I got there just in time to pick mine up. Got pretty lucky.

I rented Red Steel and Super monkey ball on the weekend, and I would say red steel is a decent game despite the bad reviews. Yes, it's super cheesy dialouge and there are the odd few bugs, but nothing that bad. It's not a bad game at all, once the controls are learnt it's pretty fun. Super monkey ball hasn't done much for me yet, but I haven't played much. I'd recommend Red Steel, but only if you go into the game not expecting too, too much. Remember, a lot of these games (for Nintendo) are going to be gameplay over graphics and realism. (IMO) .. Nintendo isn't too focused on great graphics, etc.. but rather the fact that your having a ton of fun as you play.

spikehs
12-12-2006, 02:45 PM
My buddy said that Rayman Rabbits was is a ton of fun, its just a bunch of mini games, but he said it was really good....

albert_dao
12-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Rayman lacked the polish I expect out of games.

Moogled
12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Funny thing about the Wii is that you don't need the sensor bar in the system.

You can make your own using two candles to create an IR field. Huzzah!

Tarolisol
12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Funny thing about the Wii is that you don't need the sensor bar in the system.

You can make your own using two candles to create an IR field. Huzzah!

Please continue

Pescador
12-13-2006, 04:51 PM
I saw that on AOTS using the candles instead of the sensor bar.

All it does is send out IR beams so that the wiimote can sense the motion. Having 2 candles like that will work just as well because the candles will act as a substitute for the IR beams from the sensor bar. The wiimote only communicates with the wii wirelessly, not with the sensor bar. The wiimote will work like that just so long as you have 2 sources of IR that it can sense as guidelines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wByP5QfZcOU&mode=related&search=

OCDP
12-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Interesting.

Moogled
12-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Pescador is right.

Some household items emit an IR frequency that's similar to what the LED lights in your sensor bar do. The only drawback is that stuff like remotes only have IR output when a button is pressed. You'd drain the battery too fast if you held it down.

As said in the video, flashlights work too, but candle flames work just the same.

On the other hand, the sensor bar works using triangulation. The little camera inside your wiimote can't detect anything other than the two LED lights in your sensor bar. Thusly, if your wiimote is aimed between the two LEDs, it recognizes that you're aiming in the middle.

In other words, the sensor bar just calibrates the distance and speed of your wiimote functions, but the information is sent to the Wii console itself via wireless.

I'm assuming that you can tweak the intensity of the wiimote sensitivity by increasing the reception of the IR LEDs or creating a bigger IR field by increasing the distance.

/hacked