Fluval 304 filter
My tank is fully cycled been running since Aug4, 2006
Is what I have sufficient to continue?
and what would this setup support?
Jim
Picture

niloc16
11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
the setup is sufficient, few suggestions though. the tank is too small for a sailfin tang, do not use the filter floss in the fluval. just run carbon or something in it. if you use filter media it will become a nitrate factory. what is the wattage of the lighting. the lighting may be good for mushrooms, zenia, zoanthids. be careful with the chocolate chip starfish, it will eat fish if it catches them. just a couple thoughts, looks good though

WWWD
11-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Crap I don't even think Jason's 400 gallon can hold his sailfin at this point.

daddy01
11-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi Colin,
Thanks for the reply, my 2-T5 run 18W 10000K and tue actnic 03 flourescent.
In my fluval I have the carbon, and sponge inserts along with bio media stuff.
My parameters are
Nitrite=0
nitrate=<10
Ph=8
Ammonia=0
Calcium over 500ppm
Salintiy=1.022
I realize the tang was an incorrect purchase but my son said he would take the tang and the Choc chip starfish if I have problems.
I added a Ricordia yesterday but I am not sure if it is I got it cheap.
Jim

Tangman
11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I agree with niloc16, a 32 gallon tank is too small for a sailfin tang, or any tang for that matter, ( sorry to sound like the tang police)
as for the fluval, I would not use the foam prefilter either and in the baskets I would use carbon and phosphate media.
You should be filterring your tap water as well with an RO/DI filter, to avoid algae problems.
As for equipment I would invest in a skimmer and you will need more flow ( circulation ) in the tank, with a powerhead or two

Der_Iron_Chef
11-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I would think your lighting is sufficient, given that your tank is only 21" deep. I would invest in a skimmer, though. Everyone seems to dislike the Coralife Super Skimmer, but I have one and it's done a great job (with a little tweaking!) and you won't spend a fortune either.

daddy01
11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi,
Thanks to all the repllies and suggestions. My tank has a skimmer but it is noisy and my wife can't stand it so I run it only at night. It is a Seaclone 100 I forgot to mention that previously.
I would like an identificaion of this and any other info..I just dropped it in the tank yesterday was told it is Ricordia but doesn't look like one?

Tarolisol
11-19-2006, 05:51 PM
What brand is the T5?

MDG3
11-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Colin,
Thanks for the reply, my 2-T5 run 18W 10000K and tue actnic 03 flourescent.
In my fluval I have the carbon, and sponge inserts along with bio media stuff.

Drop the sponge, IMHO.:idea: :idea:

My parameters are
Nitrite=0
nitrate=<10
Ph=8
Ammonia=8

WOO WOO Ammonia=8 , is this a new setup? If so I think it has not finished cycling yet. Be careful about adding more stuff.:question: :question:

Calcium over 500ppm
Salintiy=1.022
I realize the tang was an incorrect purchase but my son said he would take the tang and the Choc chip starfish if I have problems.
I added a Ricordia yesterday but I am not sure if it is I got it cheap.
Jim

Just my opinion.

EDIT: Just reread your post it has been cycled , but the ammonia is WAY too high IMHO.

daddy01
11-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Typo with ammonia ..ammonia is zero! I should have previewed post first I guess. Tarolisol the T5 are Coralife aqualight brand
Jim

Tarolisol
11-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Typo with ammonia ..ammonia is zero! I should have previewed post first I guess. Tarolisol the T5 are Coralife aqualight brand
Jim

I believe the coralife T5 is not a highoutput T5 you will probly encounter trouble with many corals besides maybe mushrooms and the such.

daddy01
11-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I was informed by my supplier that it would be sufficient? My plan was just to have some soft corals and anenome..no hard corals.
Now I have to buy more equipment.
Thanks for reply
Jim

Der_Iron_Chef
11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
That definitely doesn't look like Ricordia to me! It looks sort of like a Green Open Brain Choral (Trachyphyllia Geoffroyi), but sort of not! Sorry, I know not much help :mrgreen:

Tarolisol
11-19-2006, 07:15 PM
There is probably no way an anemone will live under those lights. Anemones need fairly high lighting. Some soft corals might be ok but there growth will be slow.

But that does look like a green ricoridia, its just closed partily.

daddy01
11-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks again for reply. Does adding another light strip suffice? or will I have to invest in Halide? I am on a pension so money is crucial and my wife isn't to happy with all the add-ons.
Jim

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Yes, anemones are high light. Under lower light conditions, they often keep moving around the tank, looking for a better spot. While they move, they are stinging your corals. MH are best for anemones. I've kept LTAs & BTAs under 96w PC, but I noticed how much happier they were after I upgraded the lighting.

Anthony

daddy01
11-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the reply Anthony,
Do you live in Vancouver area?
I have been pricing Halide systems and they want a fortune for them!I was thinking about DIY system but am unfamiliar with Halide ballasts and bulbs. I read a DIY on a forum(?) about buying a cheap halogen system with DE bulbs and attaching a Halide ballast and purchasing a DE halide bulb. But can't find a retailer for ballast, do you know any?
Jim

niloc16
11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
if you are not wanting to keep sps or high light corals you do not need halides. where abouts do you live? your skimmer should get quieter once it slimes over but it will take about a month or so. its only my opinion but i dont think your light is strong enough for ricordias and what not i would invest in high output t5s or with power compacts or something.

daddy01
11-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi Colin,
I live in Surrey/Newton area by Newton WavePool. I just wanted to add something to decorate the live rock more, since I haven't got a big tank, to add a little more life and color.
I have been contemplating building a DIY for 175W Halide but am not familiar with Halide ballast..there was a DIY done using old Hologen lamps and just changing out the bulb for Halide DE bulb and installing Halide Ballist, but I can't find a Halide ballast in Surrey area that is reasonable.
Jim

niloc16
11-20-2006, 12:50 AM
private message sent to you also

175w would be really good, more than enough light for anything.

daddy01
11-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Ok here is an update,
I went to hidden reef and bought a Coralife 24" Aqualight, it was missing on bulb it is rated 65W Daylight and 65W aCtnic but was missing the actnic so I purchase a second 65W daylight, and now run this plus one of my T% using just ACtnic what can I keep now?
I also have a red algae bloom seems everytime I top up my water I get a bloom.
Jim

niloc16
11-21-2006, 01:22 AM
are you using RO/DI water for you top up. if not that could be where your algae bloom could be coming from. pretty much soft corals, ricordias, trumpet, candycane, euphyllia if you placed them high, just research corals and see which ones you like that are low to med light.

daddy01
11-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I used DI water.
Jim

niloc16
11-23-2006, 02:34 AM
initially i used di water and it does filter out a great deal, but i was floored at the water quality after i bought my RO/DI unit. hidden reef has good deals on the ro/di units. you may even find one online used, i know blaster had one for sale i'm not sure if he still does