PDA

View Full Version : OMG I'm trying $OLARI$...

Sushiman
11-17-2006, 04:54 AM
I've hummed & I've hawed & I'm taking the plunge. I'm ordering the Solaris 48" 20K LED system for my new set-up from J&L. Overtime here I come!
I will post progress as I'm very excited about this new tank.
Aquascaping is going to be a major consideration, I'm foaming out the tank with a black aquatic foam used in pond construction. I'll keep you updated.
Anyone else have a Solaris system running?
Wish me luck.

Delphinus
11-17-2006, 05:04 AM
What size tank you gonna put it on?

Sushiman
11-17-2006, 05:05 AM
90gal.

Delphinus
11-17-2006, 05:06 AM
24" high then. Interesting .. Good luck, hope you like it!

Sushiman
11-17-2006, 05:11 AM
at that price, me too!

LostMind
11-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Oh wow Sushi that's awesome :)

What are you planning on keeping the tank? I haven't read too much about these lights, I've been seriously wondering how good they are. I've been really interested in LED lighting for years now... can't believe it's taking this long to get out...

andresont
11-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Hey Sushiman thank you for posting keep us informed on how you like it etc.
Good luck

littlesilvermax
11-17-2006, 07:02 AM
Gonna watch this thread.

Farrmanchu
11-17-2006, 10:46 AM
I've checked the Solaris Site a few times.......I always say, Someday, one day, the price will come down. You're lucky.

Joe Reefer
11-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Cool, when do you expect it?

Midknight
11-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Just tagging along... if you don't mind. :lol:

Sushiman
11-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Well guys I'm going to be the lab rat! I understand that the units are backordered but I'll talk with J&L today & find out /make the order.
I am moving to my new home at the end of the month so tear down of the current FOWLR is the priority. I'll go pic intense on both the lighting & aquascaping for everybody not to worry.
The new set up will be a deep-water community (south pacific) so Softies, LPS, filter feeders & a decent fishload is the rough plan. I will try some SPS & clams, although they will not be the main focus of this system (SPS tanks are great, but I'm a sucker for so-called "soft" corals).
I want this set-up to be low maintenance & quite frankly stunning to look at. I'll be utilizing aquascaping techniques found in Reef Aquarium Vol III using eggcrate & black expanding pond foam + live rock on PVC frames so it should be pretty cool. I'm also going to try to camo necessary equipment (this tank is not drilled!) so the scape' should be a fun challenge.

RicePaddy
11-17-2006, 05:08 PM
I am very interested in what you find out about this new technology "Solaris". I have been told that J&L do not keep these lights in stock and order from the MFG on a per customer basis.

These lights would solve the heat and space issues I would have on my tank if I used a PC Halide system.

I cannot wait for your future posts.

Will

kwirky
11-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm a sucker for softies/LPS too :)

for those interested, advanced aquarist has a good review of the 14" solaris fixture here, comparing it to a single MH bulb:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2

here's a chart showing it's output, comparing it to an xm 250W 20000k bulb (a very good 20000k bulb that outputs better than most 13-15000k's)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2_album/Figure10.JPG/variant/medium

niloc16
11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
this is going to be a good thread. i'm dying to see someones tank with this lighting on it.

Farrmanchu
11-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I wanna see what all the different dusk/dawn and whatnot options look like! And of course, follow the growth, that's the deciding factor.

Beverly
11-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Your whole project sounds cool :cool:

danny zubot
11-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Me too Me too.

Sushiman
11-18-2006, 12:52 AM
I talked with Jeff at J&L and he has several units on the way so he tagged my name on one, good, no long delay! Lordy, these things are pricey!

niloc16
11-18-2006, 03:35 AM
they are definitely pricey. the hype is so huge on this lighting but its hard to find anyone actually using it with success on sps and corals. all the info i have found has been from the manufacturing and PAR testing. this is one reason i'm hooked on this thread to see how it works for you. good for you taking the plunge though.

Sushiman
11-18-2006, 04:06 AM
There are several reports of sucess with sps on RC and growth photos to back up the claims, one system has great shots of Acro & Monti growth. PFO has a high output 400w model coming for 2007 apparently.

LostMind
11-18-2006, 05:34 AM
yah, ther eare a couple of VERY long threads on RC about these units. A couple of serious detractors who seem to have a grudge against the manufacturer trying to spoil the fun, but seems like a good product overall.

Just a bit pricey,imo.

Sushiman
11-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Who here thinks I've lost my mind? I could buy a Geisemman Eco 250MH (x2) +T5's & a Euro-reef rc180 for less than this fixture.

untamed
11-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Not me...if not for the fact that I needed 2 of the 6 foot fixtures, I would have gone with LED for sure.

Tarolisol
11-20-2006, 05:26 AM
I think your crazy, doesnt seem worth the money to me, i could get better proven lights for my tank for way way less. But if i was rich and had money to burn i might try somthing new.

marie
11-20-2006, 05:34 AM
I think your crazy,...

and then there are some people who will stand in a line up all night just to buy a PS3 :razz:

Sushiman
11-20-2006, 05:53 AM
...I'm starting to feel like one of those poor frozen fools. Well, I priced out a wishlist for upgrading my system. I sure can do an awful lot for the same amount of $$$. I need to sleep on it.

andresont
11-20-2006, 07:12 AM
...I'm starting to feel like one of those poor frozen fools. Well, I priced out a wishlist for upgrading my system. I sure can do an awful lot for the same amount of $$$. I need to sleep on it.
You are not a fool to me !
You are just one who gets what he wants, new staff is always in question and people do Not like to change especially thouse who allready spent money on infirior systems.
When you scubadive you see that there is not That much light down at 60 feet. Flow, food and clean water is more imortant. I have Millipora growing in 6 gal Nano, under 18Watt PC that doubled in size in less then 9 month.
I am sure you will love your new light system .
Good luck!

Tarolisol
11-20-2006, 07:39 AM
and then there are some people who will stand in a line up all night just to buy a PS3 :razz:

Yes but that playstation 3 makes me money.

Pan
11-20-2006, 08:09 AM
You are not a fool to me !
You are just one who gets what he wants, new staff is always in question and people do Not like to change especially thouse who allready spent money on infirior systems.
When you scubadive you see that there is not That much light down at 60 feet. Flow, food and clean water is more imortant. I have Millipora growing in 6 gal Nano, under 18Watt PC that doubled in size in less then 9 month.
I am sure you will love your new light system .
Good luck!

wow someone touched a nerve :)

LostMind
11-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Honestly, I am personally waiting until at least next year when they launch their "400w" version of the led lighting. That should drop the price on these "250w" units... plus I read that they will be coming out with lower end units without all the fancy lcd displays and controls.

Sushiman
11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
There, slept on it. I'm in. It's high time I invested in my system instead of continuously trying to stretch my buck. This is the wrong hobby for that and I should know better after all of these years. Yes, this thing costs like some gold & diamond plated toiliet seat Britany Spears might have, but for me the pro's out weigh the con's.
I'm sick and tired of having second-rate stuff.
Dec.1st I'll pick my unit up if it has arrived.
Merry Christmas to me.

reeferaddict
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
There, slept on it. I'm in. It's high time I invested in my system instead of continuously trying to stretch my buck. This is the wrong hobby for that and I should know better after all of these years. Yes, this thing costs like some gold & diamond plated toiliet seat Britany Spears might have, but for me the pro's out weigh the con's.
I'm sick and tired of having second-rate stuff.
Dec.1st I'll pick my unit up if it has arrived.
Merry Christmas to me.

You GO dood! And keep us all informed too! :mrgreen:

Lucky Ba$%#rd!

Skimmer Juice
11-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Thank god. I have wanted the 72 inch for a long time now. I just wanted to get some feed back, on coral growth before investing 3thow on a light. I will keep checking up , hope you post some before and after tank pics. I feel the same way about getting cheaper stuff, when really there should be no cutting corners for your fish. I take better care of my fish than myself, half the time they eat better than me too:biggrin:

Tarolisol
11-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Hope you wont sacrifice the quality of other equipment, like a skimmer, for this though, but good luck and let us know how well it works.

StirCrazy
11-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Ok talk a real hard look at that picture below.. it doen't put out anywhere near the amount a MH would BUT of what it does put out 87% is in the PUR range compared to the 78% of usable light the MH puts out..

Now to put this into proper perspective If the solaris puts out 100 units of light, 87% will be in the PUR range or 87 units of light. Where if the MH puts out 600 units of light 78% will be in the PUR range or 468 units.

no where in that graph does it say how much light is put out, only how much of the output is usable.. it is a very nice marketing ploy though..

Steve

I'm a sucker for softies/LPS too :)

for those interested, advanced aquarist has a good review of the 14" solaris fixture here, comparing it to a single MH bulb:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2

here's a chart showing it's output, comparing it to an xm 250W 20000k bulb (a very good 20000k bulb that outputs better than most 13-15000k's)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2_album/Figure10.JPG/variant/medium

Skimmer Juice
11-21-2006, 01:40 AM
I got a pretty nice euro reef, i just need a good light.

Dave C
11-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Now to put this into proper perspective If the solaris puts out 100 units of light, 87% will be in the PUR range or 87 units of light. Where if the MH puts out 600 units of light 78% will be in the PUR range or 468 units.

no where in that graph does it say how much light is put out, only how much of the output is usable.. it is a very nice marketing ploy though..

Doesn't this quote from that link address the PAR issue?

"Using the data shown in Figures 2 and 4, plus standardized surface area, the 75-watt Solaris produced 89.4% of the PAR generated by the 250-watt XM 20,000K lamp.

This equates to totalized PAR (µmol·sec) over a normalized surface area of 113 µmol·sec per watt for the Solaris, and 38 µmol·m˛·sec per watt for the metal halide lamp."

It sounds to me like the 75w Solaris produces more PAR per watt, but less PAR in total. But not substantially less... 89.4% of the MH PAR.

Sushiman
11-21-2006, 02:17 AM
that was my understanding.

Sushiman
11-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Hope you wont sacrifice the quality of other equipment, like a skimmer, for this though, but good luck and let us know how well it works.

My ETSS Reef Devil works really well actually (now that it's overdriven it positivly howls), but I'm upgrading to a Euro-reef rc180 very soon. I see a wave box & calcium reactor in the not too distant future as well...I want this to be "tank of the month" quality.

Sushiman
11-21-2006, 04:00 AM
Just picked up the new Oceanic cherry/oak stand from J&L. Looks good. It'll be nice to have some room for a change & looks much better than that P.O.S. AGA stand. My new house has a fire-pit in the back yard, I'll use the old one for kindling.
This system is going to look nice if it kills me.

StirCrazy
11-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Doesn't this quote from that link address the PAR issue?

"Using the data shown in Figures 2 and 4, plus standardized surface area, the 75-watt Solaris produced 89.4% of the PAR generated by the 250-watt XM 20,000K lamp.

This equates to totalized PAR (µmol·sec) over a normalized surface area of 113 µmol·sec per watt for the Solaris, and 38 µmol·m˛·sec per watt for the metal halide lamp."

It sounds to me like the 75w Solaris produces more PAR per watt, but less PAR in total. But not substantially less... 89.4% of the MH PAR.

the problem is we will never know untill one can properly be independantly tested. as I posted about this befor it is so easy to fuge these tests in any direction you want. for example, just moving my PAR sensor 1cm would reduce my readings my 35%, and if instead of moving it you angle it say 5 degrees it will reduce the reading by over 60%. As well how far from the source was everything tested? You have to look at bulb and ballast, and reflector combanations as well. I know if you use an older electronic ballast on a bulb you can end up with 1/2 the out put of a HQI ballast and so on.. as far as distance from the bulb to the meter at 1cm a NO floressent tube puts out 85% of the PAR a MH does, so you can see also the distance they tank the readings at is a huge factor also because at 18" the NO is less than 10% of the MH.

Personaly I have tested normal LEDs and they don't even make the PAR meter move, I do believer higher wattage LEDs will have some PAR but I do not believe that at a distance of 18" they will even be 40% of the MH.

so what I had said in the last thread untill some one on the island buys one, Hurry up Jason :mrgreen: , and lets me bring my toys over and run the test we won't know for sure.

Steve

Dave C
11-21-2006, 02:06 PM
I understand Steve. But that's now what I got from your other post. You suggested that they weren't addressing how much PAR the two fixtures put out, only the useable amount. That statement didn't hold up once I read the link.

Won't your results potentially be subject to the same inaccuracies as the ones in the link? btw, wasn't Sanjay doing some tests on these lights? I don't recall reading his conclusions. He seems like an independent source of info and has all the tools.

StirCrazy
11-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Sanjay did but his tests were at 1" which as far as I am concerned is a waist of time..

If I do testing i will determin the max PAR at a distance.. not just one point.. this way I can also see the drop off from different location.. I test for US not for a company as I have had to buy evey bulb/ballast I have tested.. I only wish I could get "testers" I could have saved about $2000.00.

Steve

Sushiman
12-20-2006, 01:41 AM
Well, the fixture has finally arrived! So far, it looks very nice & the features are easy to utilize. I've just about finished the black-foam aquascape & it looks fantastic. I can't wait to get water in the tank! pic's to come on my days off.

danny zubot
12-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Can't wait to see pics.

Do you have another type of lighting system that you can compare it to? Maybe take some comparitive pictures?

Sushiman
12-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm afraid not, I was just running a bank of 96w PC's prior, but I've sold them off. What I can tell you is the Led's certainly have the intensity & brightness that I've seen on many MH fixtures (visual impression at least), just NO heat! I'm looking forward to trying out different corals under them. My set-up will be primarily LPS, Softies (all types) & clams. I will try a Monti cap & some digitata once the tank has matured & I've upgraded the skimmer & the flow. Maybe a green slimer or something too, we'll have to see.

Skimmerking
12-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Where are the pictures:mrgreen:

Sushiman
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
well here's some eye candy, sorry for the poor shots, more to come....

Sushiman
12-22-2006, 03:59 PM
some more...

Joe Reefer
12-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Awesome! The background looks like guts, but I like it. :mrgreen:

Sushiman
12-22-2006, 04:12 PM
The pic's don't do it justice. The display does not seem so insanely blue in person, I need to play with my camera I think. The foam came out a nice matte black & hides the overflow nicely. I'v added lots of ledges withe the hopes of mounting encrusting frags later. This seems to be something that you just gotta see in person. it looks absolutely sick!

Sushiman
12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Awesome! The background looks like guts, but I like it. :mrgreen:

My kids said it looked like rock poop when I was applying it

snaggle
12-22-2006, 04:21 PM
I posted this on Alberta Aquatica I am going to buy one of these when I do a larger tank.

I would say go with the new LED lights. I did the math one day and the cost of the new 250 w MH bulbs and 55w PC atinic bulbs, changing you MH every 6 months and you atinics every year would cost you the same to buy one of these LED lights.

LED lights

The math works out like this,

LED lights $3539.00

LED fixture Life 50,000 = 50,000 at 12 hours a day 365 days a year = 11.41 years

6' MH and PC light fixture

A six foot tank needs 3 250w 10,000k MH lights $1499.95.

Replacement bulbs for the MH are 94.95 each times 3 times 2 times 11.5 = 6551.55

96w attinic bulbs

Replacement bulbs for the PCs are 52.95, 4 times 11.5 = 608.93

total $8660.43

total savings of $5121.43

Brad

Sushiman
12-22-2006, 04:27 PM
now how about electricity costs? excess temp? chiller? the ability to change K out-put with the touch of a button?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Nice, but it seems very blue. Is that just the camera?

bubblepuffer
12-22-2006, 05:03 PM
If you read the previous message, the Blueis color is caused by the Camera and he still try to capture the proper color out of it using the Camera. .

Skimmer Juice
12-22-2006, 05:26 PM
I think it looks awsome. I will also be buying one of these fixtures, in the near future. Keep us updated with some pics when you have live stock in there.

Skimmerking
12-22-2006, 08:13 PM
I love the lighting there Snaggle I see that your in wainwright. So i take it your in the Military what trade are ya with the school?

I have taught in Wainwright many times on SQ's ,PLQ's, lots of leadership courses.

mike

Dave C
12-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Every picture I've ever seen posted of tanks with Solaris lights looks very blue and not as bright as a MH setup. I'd love to see these in person.

Dave C
12-22-2006, 08:35 PM
btw, as far as I'm concerned high tech stuff like this pays for itself on day one if it works the way you hoped it would, looks the way you wanted it to look & makes you happy.

Midknight
12-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I was thinking a road trip to Mission is needed at some point. :wink:

StirCrazy
12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Replacement bulbs for the MH are 94.95 each times 3 times 2 times 11.5 = 6551.55

96w attinic bulbs

Replacement bulbs for the PCs are 52.95, 4 times 11.5 = 608.93

total $8660.43

total savings of $5121.43

Brad

I only get 2300 for bulb replacment and that is if you go with 3 bulbs. 2 bulbs can light a 6 foot tank effectivly so that would only be 1600.00 ish.

if you changing MH more than once a year your throwing away good money.

Steve

StirCrazy
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
now how about electricity costs? excess temp? chiller? the ability to change K out-put with the touch of a button?

from what I read there realy isn't much along the lines of energy costs, we will wait to see if you can still go with out a chiller but the ability to change the light color is cool as long as all bulbs are still on when you do it.

Next time I am in Vancouver, with out the wife maybe we can set it up and I can do some PAR measurments.. would be interesting to see the practical output of them.

what did you use for your "rock poop"?

Steve

G1GY
12-22-2006, 11:13 PM
I'll be waiting untill these units are mainstream before I'd even think of trying them.

I haven't seen a pic of the lighting yet that has given me the urge to get them.

I'm watching to see what results you have with corals. :)

snaggle
12-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I love the lighting there Snaggle I see that your in wainwright. So i take it your in the Military what trade are ya with the school?

I have taught in Wainwright many times on SQ's ,PLQ's, lots of leadership courses.

mike

I am a Res Sig Op working with CMTC at OPFOR, I will going reg force in the summer/fall I will be changing to bin rat though.

Brad

snaggle
12-24-2006, 04:02 PM
I only get 2300 for bulb replacment and that is if you go with 3 bulbs. 2 bulbs can light a 6 foot tank effectivly so that would only be 1600.00 ish.

if you changing MH more than once a year your throwing away good money.

Steve

sorry when I copied the post the links did not copie.

I was using this light from J&L for the referance.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-esu.php?product_ID=mh-calp722

I have always heard to change you MH every 6 months. I have used one for 18 months in the past though.

Brad

Sushiman
12-24-2006, 05:00 PM
I was thinking a road trip to Mission is needed at some point. :wink:

Welcome anytime.

Rumika
01-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Way to go. I am looking at starting a reef aquarium and I to am very interested in the LED's. When are they going to be coming out with the
400w? These Led's should last you 12years approx., and when you consider in the cost of replacements bulbs in a different fixture I don't feel there is much difference. You also mentioned the Giesmann fixture, but for the one with the micro processor, the LED is cheaper so there you go.
Please keep us posted.

Phanman
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
any updates?

RicePaddy
05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
I second that. I am weighing my purchase partly on your experince.

Will

Sushiman
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey everyone. The tank is doing well, I'm still very pleased with the LED's.I haven't had the spare $$$ to put into the tank (I'm setting up a home based daycare right now) so the few frags I've had have grown nicely, The torch seems very happy & I simply love the microprocessor running the whole show. I can understand why so many hobbiests love their controllers.
What can I say, I love the lights. I recommend them without hesitation. My tank has matured so I will be adding many more corals & inverts very soon so look for further updates in the not so distant future.
Next on my hardware list is an auto top-off to keep up with all the evaporation.

andrewsk
07-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Updates on this? I am looking at getting a 72" Solaris.