PDA

View Full Version : Very Nice affordable metal hallides

marcingo
11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey everyone. I recently purchased 150 watt double ended HQI metal hallide setups from a supplier in china. I have been running them for almost 2 weeks. I have suspended these lights 5 inches above my tank and they barely affect water temperature. (I was completely suprised too) Basically all you have to do is do the wiring(cable from light to ballast and ballast to wall). The ballasts are the silent electric ballasts and do not heat up at all. The light is very bright for a 150 watt. Just thought I would let everyone know about this since I think it is an amazing deal compared to what everyone else charges. They are all cULus safety rated which makes them good for insurance purposes in canada from what I have read. Anyway here is a link to the picture of the light system- If you want to see a picture of the lights in action over my tank I can email it to you.

Almost forgot an entire setup is 80 dollars can be seen in below link.
Shipping for two systems cost me 49 dollars cdn and I recieved my lights at my door exactly 7 days after they were posted in China.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150046733241&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=005

Also this is a pretty trust worthy seller. One of the bulbs were broken when they arrived in canada since customs opened it and didnt handle it very carefully- anyway i did not purchase insurance from him and sent me a brand new bulb covering both the bulb and shipping cost himself.

Needless to say I posted this to let everyone know about my experience in no way am I trying to sell this stuff. Thought I would mention this:lol:

st4tic
11-17-2006, 12:06 AM
did you have any brokerage fees? taxes?

marcingo
11-17-2006, 12:15 AM
not at all. He didnt put any price on the package. Maybe I got lucky but yeah no fees or taxes at all. Was kinda surprised.

Total cost for me was 269- two setups with 2 extra bulbs and 2 bulbs included and moonlight and shipping all in that price.

I was pretty happy with it.

andresont
11-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Hey everyone. I recently purchased 150 watt double ended HQI metal hallide setups from a supplier in china. I have been running them for almost 2 weeks. I have suspended these lights 5 inches above my tank and they barely affect water temperature. (I was completely suprised too) Basically all you have to do is do the wiring(cable from light to ballast and ballast to wall). The ballasts are the silent electric ballasts and do not heat up at all. The light is very bright for a 150 watt. Just thought I would let everyone know about this since I think it is an amazing deal compared to what everyone else charges. They are all cULus safety rated which makes them good for insurance purposes in canada from what I have read. Anyway here is a link to the picture of the light system- If you want to see a picture of the lights in action over my tank I can email it to you.

Almost forgot an entire setup is 80 dollars can be seen in below link.
Shipping for two systems cost me 49 dollars cdn and I recieved my lights at my door exactly 7 days after they were posted in China.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150046733241&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=005

Also this is a pretty trust worthy seller. One of the bulbs were broken when they arrived in canada since customs opened it and didnt handle it very carefully- anyway i did not purchase insurance from him and sent me a brand new bulb covering both the bulb and shipping cost himself.

Needless to say I posted this to let everyone know about my experience in no way am I trying to sell this stuff. Thought I would mention this:lol:
Hey, that looks good However.. it is 220 Volts how did you convert the
voltage to 110? or this ballast is auto voltage?
Thanks for the good info.

andresont
11-17-2006, 12:20 AM
not at all. He didnt put any price on the package. Maybe I got lucky but yeah no fees or taxes at all. Was kinda surprised.

Total cost for me was 269- two setups with 2 extra bulbs and 2 bulbs included and moonlight and shipping all in that price.

I was pretty happy with it.
Dont get too exited taxes may come in later, that's what happend to my friend when he bought a watch from states (www.watchzone.com)

marcingo
11-17-2006, 12:40 AM
The ballasts in the link are 220v but the guy sells 110 volt ballats too.(or whatever we use here) The reason for the link was just to illustrate how the setups look. So he included the 110's for no extra charge.

As for the taxes I could only see them charging me the brokerage fee of 20 dollars but they cant really charge me gst since there was no price on the box or value of the package. Dont know how they would know. But on the package it had a note from customs that said Customs cleared- wouldnt the delivery guy charge me when he gave me the package- thats what happened when I bought my phone from the US.

andresont
11-17-2006, 02:33 AM
The ballasts in the link are 220v but the guy sells 110 volt ballats too.(or whatever we use here) The reason for the link was just to illustrate how the setups look. So he included the 110's for no extra charge.

As for the taxes I could only see them charging me the brokerage fee of 20 dollars but they cant really charge me gst since there was no price on the box or value of the package. Dont know how they would know. But on the package it had a note from customs that said Customs cleared- wouldnt the delivery guy charge me when he gave me the package- thats what happened when I bought my phone from the US.
I guess you are right, how china would know (?)what to charge us here, unless government keepsa track somhow i might need to call my friend for tax details if anybody here is interested, but i know he told me that he was charged later, it could be different because he bought from US tough.

mark
11-17-2006, 02:40 AM
Just out of interest do they have a CSA or UL sticker?

muck
11-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Canada Customs could have taken the info off the box. (hence why there was none) It has happened before on packages from my work.

Hopefully you won't get any surprises though. :wink:

fkshiu
11-17-2006, 03:31 AM
Just out of interest do they have a CSA or UL sticker?

I would doubt it.

benjamin
11-17-2006, 03:39 AM
He could have also sent it as a gift, this gets rid of alot of the fees you would have to pay, thats how it worked for me when i ordered my mh setup from a different country.

marcingo
11-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Yes mine have UL stickers the sticker is cULus exactly like that.

marcingo
11-17-2006, 04:58 AM
I guess you are right, how china would know (?)what to charge us here, unless government keepsa track somhow i might need to call my friend for tax details if anybody here is interested, but i know he told me that he was charged later, it could be different because he bought from US tough.

When I bought my phone from the US the guy that sent it put that it was only 30 dollars and that it was a gift. They never took the value off the package but they still charged me 20 dollars brokerage.

kwirky
11-17-2006, 05:35 PM
When I bought my phone from the US the guy that sent it put that it was only 30 dollars and that it was a gift. They never took the value off the package but they still charged me 20 dollars brokerage.

that's a common trick various companies use to ship their product overseas with no duty. I got headphones from japan that way once. You don't get any shipping insurance, but it saves you buttloads of money in most cases.

My girlfriend's parents were sending stuff overseas to their family on a regular basis, putting actual values down on the stuff they were buying used in pawnshops and thrift stores n stuff. They were getting dinged with loads of duty until I told them to just put the stuff at a value of like $20 or something, since used product without any receipts usually isn't covered by any insurance in the first place.