PDA

View Full Version : fragging xenia

kwirky
11-16-2006, 04:41 AM
I've been trying to figure out how you frag xenia if it's on a rock. do you just cut/bust apart the rock with the xenia attached? or is there a way to remove them and re-attach them to something else? They're not the type where multiple polyups grow from a single stalk. They're individual polyups with a shared "mat" kinda on the rock.

mark
11-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Not an expert by any means (maybe done 30 cuttings) but found just cutting with either some really sharp scissors or a scalpel close to the rock works. I then take a needle and thread and tied the cutting onto some rubble.

Since the little bit that remains will grows back, started going slowly with a dental pick and I can lift the Xenia of the rock. If I ended up with a large piece, I would split it after it was removed.

albert_dao
11-16-2006, 06:20 AM
just snip it. the trunk grows a new head.

Farrmanchu
11-16-2006, 02:13 PM
If you cut that stuff, you should have problems getting it NOT to live. Don't let little pieces get away from you, they'll settle in another part of the tank, and soon the stuff will be sprouting out everywhere. To frag it, just get enough off in one piece to easily handle, then glue, stitch, or stuff it in a rock. A little light, and flow, and a new colony is born! I'm fighting to control this stuff in my tank. Be brutal, Waving Hand can overtake your tank.

Bill
11-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Or, you could put a rock right next to it and the xenia will spread naturally. Takes longer this way.

kwirky
11-16-2006, 04:32 PM
the rock they're growing on is about 8"x4"x4". I'll wait for them to inundate the entire rock before I make any decisions. I think that'll be in a month.

JOSH
11-16-2006, 05:37 PM
ive been doing alot of it its soo easy, i just took live rock rubble and set it against a branch, in two days its stuck so you just snip it from the main rock and its attached to a small piece of rock, its kinda a pain in the ass to cut it and then try to attach it, this way is super easy and super fast

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8240/dscn2245cj9.jpg