PDA

View Full Version : Red Turquoise Discus

saltwatermaniac
11-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Hey guys I got my self some new discus they are around two or three inches long and they ate the first day I got them they are in a 44g and I was thinking of getting two more but before I went out and bought any more I thought I would ask some other discus owners if they would be ok with some new friends or if I should just get some tetras or somthing else to stick in there!?

Any comments or ideas will do as these are my first discus and I want them to be happy and mabey even breed!

Justin

saltynuts
11-16-2006, 02:19 AM
maybe try pming blkwolf.
if i am not mistaken he used to raise discus. He would be the man to ask!

Johnny Reefer
11-16-2006, 02:19 AM
What do you have in the tank now?

saltwatermaniac
11-16-2006, 02:27 AM
I have only got them and a couple of small chiclids.

Johnny Reefer
11-16-2006, 02:31 AM
I have only got them and a couple of small chiclids.
How many is them?

saltwatermaniac
11-16-2006, 02:33 AM
Two discus and two smal tiny chiclids.

Johnny Reefer
11-16-2006, 02:47 AM
I know it's tempting...maybe one more....but, the thing with Discus is they are Cichlids themselves, after all, and thus are territorial. I'd be patient and see how the two you have get along. Maybe you got lucky and have a male and female already.
Another thing with Discus is....they can be tough to keep. Even the captive bred. The less stress, the better, IMO. Having said that, 4 would be too many, IMO. I used to keep 5 at the most in a 90.
Long story short, hold off with just the two and get a small school of tetras, IMO.

Cheers,

saltwatermaniac
11-16-2006, 02:51 AM
My friend has got 8 in a 90g and so i thought that i could have half that in half the tank size you know what I mean!?

P.s the other two small chiclids are likely going into a 25g.

Justin

jvision
11-16-2006, 03:16 AM
The thing with discus is that they'll set up a pecking order right quick, and the low man on the totem pole will soon be shown his/her place (unless you're extremely lucky and have a pair!). They do best grown out in groups of at least 4. Once they pair off, you can sell the excess fish, keeping just the pair.

saltwatermaniac
11-16-2006, 03:40 AM
That is good to know I just wonder if these are a pair already becuase they really never leave each others sides!I also was wondering how long would it be until they breed(a.k.a how long until they are sexually mature)?

Dave C
11-16-2006, 11:48 PM
At 2-3" long you'd better hope they don't breed for awhile. If they do they would be pretty stunted. They usually breed when they're about a year old and Discus usually get 5-6" in that time. They do better in larger groups, minimum 4 IME. Larger groups spread out the aggression and one fish typically won't get picked on by the others. With a pair at that size you inevitably get one bully and one whipping boy and the smaller one eats less, gets sick & dies. So by all means add a couple more at least. I'd consider quarantining new arrivals though. If you add more fish you should take a look at your water change regime and make sure you're keeping the tank clean. I've raised 50 fish in a 55g tank from 1/2" fry until they were 4" in size. But I had a large wet/dry filter, a couple HOT Magnums with micron and I changed 50% water 3x a week. So you can accomodate more fish if you maintain your tank properly.

Carlos68
12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I know have nine discus in my ninty gallon tank, and after the first few days, the pecking order is done..and everyone seems to get along okay. Thing with Discus, is they are a schooling fish of a sorts...