PDA

View Full Version : Need sump advice...

MikeP
11-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I posted a while ago about a 55g sump design and now some plans have changed. My new plan is a 50g sump, dimensions are 40Lx18Wx16H, my skimmer (coralife SS220) needs at least 12 inches, I'm thinking of trying to divide the sump into 3 equal sections, I plan to go skimmer-> fuge -> return. The return pump will be in the sump. How does this sound so far? Next question is the baffles, the bubble diffuser would be 3 peices of glass set 1 inch apart with the middle one 1 inch higher up and will be right after the first section. How does that sound? What I'm not sure about is how big the baffles should be.

Thanks for any input

PS the tank I'm using for the sump is not built yet so I can make modifications, although the space under the stand is limited.

Joe Reefer
11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
If possible I would go fuge--> return <--skimmer

Johnny Reefer
11-15-2006, 08:26 PM
....., I'm thinking of trying to divide the sump into 3 equal sections, I plan to go skimmer-> fuge -> return. The return pump will be in the sump. How does this sound so far? Next question is the baffles, the bubble diffuser would be 3 peices of glass set 1 inch apart with the middle one 1 inch higher up and will be right after the first section. How does that sound? What I'm not sure about is how big the baffles should be. .....
I'm going to be building two sumps shortly. (Picking the glass up today actually). One will be using a 135g tank, (72" x 18" x 24") and the other will be using a 70g tank, (48" x 18" x 18"). Both will be similar in design and similar to your plans except.....I'll have four "sections" ....feed chamber > (baffles) > skimmer > 'fuge > return. My three baffles will be set 2" apart with the middle (aka "floating") baffle raised 2" off the bottom. The baffles will be 12" high in the 70g sump, which is 67% of the volume, and 17" high in the 135g sump, which is 71% of that volume. The skimmer > 'fuge > return setions will be separated using only 4" glass verticals for 2" sandbeds. I'm also going to use 1" wide glass verticals spaced approx 1" apart to hold some undergravel filter plate vertically on both sides of the 'fuge section to help contain the Chaeto.

HTH and cheers,

MikeP
11-16-2006, 12:11 AM
If possible I would go fuge--> return <--skimmer

So if I can plumb it that way how does everything else sound?

vanreefer
11-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Personally I would have the floating baffels on the outside and the one in the middle attached to the bottom... the logic behind this is when the water level gets low (i'm sure i'm not the only one that forgets to top-up now and then) the water is not falling into the final (return) chamber and creating micro bubbles. Also as the water flows over the middle baffel the air bubbles rise and are not taken under the final baffel therefore decreasing the amount of bubbles returning to the display.

Just my .02
Dan