PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Pump

Josh24
11-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Just wanted to to get some feedback on these pumps.
What has been your experience?

WWWD
11-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Quiet reliable but they generate a lot of heat. Mine is now 6 years old and still runs great.

mr_alberta
11-15-2006, 12:46 AM
^ what he said minus the running for 6yrs part.

Josh24
11-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Mr. Alberta did you kick the bucket early? how many years.
How are they on electricity in comparison to other pumps on the market?
Would you purchase again or select a different manufacture?

mr_alberta
11-15-2006, 02:45 AM
I haven't been in the hobby 6 years so I've never had any single pump for that long.

I've had several come and go with various systems over the years. I've never had any problem with the pumps. I actually quite like them. I have a T3 sitting around at the moment that I can't decide what to do with.

The only thing I don't like with the pumps (aside from the heat transfer) is the allen key that you need to take off the bolts to clean the impellar. I really with they used a more common screw head like a philips tip. Other than that, I'm quite satisfied with the pump.

Mind you, I've only ever run the Custom Sea Life brand. I'm not sure what they are like now since switching companies.

WWWD
11-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Mine is a CSL as well. I believe mine draws around 140watts/hr. Not great but not bad. If you want something more energy efficient I would go with a blueline.

Josh24
11-15-2006, 05:00 AM
I may avoid them then as their quality may change.
What other pumps would you recomend?

WWWD
11-15-2006, 06:33 AM
I may avoid them then as their quality may change.
What other pumps would you recomend?

I don't think their quality has changed over the years, its still tahe same pump just a new badge on it.

If you wanted to try something different I would consider this
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PW-50PX-X&Category_Code=Panworld

Its around the same gph, fan cooled, pretty quiet and pulls somewhere around 60watts/hour of energy. Good price as well. If you order from PA tell them to ship it USPS.