PDA

View Full Version : Can You overfeed palys?

marcingo
11-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Just wondering if there is such a thing as overfeeding palys? I have a both brown plays and green palys. Also I have read they are lower light so I placed them on the sandbed at the edges of the tank. Is this a good place to put them? I am running 20k 150 watt hqi and 14k 150 watt hqi. They are much brighter than they sound. I spot feed the polyps every day. It seems they are accepting food all the time. Could palys die from too much food?

Just want to take preventative measures rather than start worrying about it when things start to go wrong.

Thanks.

OCDP
11-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Just wondering if there is such a thing as overfeeding palys? I have a both brown plays and green palys. Also I have read they are lower light so I placed them on the sandbed at the edges of the tank. Is this a good place to put them? I am running 20k 150 watt hqi and 14k 150 watt hqi. They are much brighter than they sound. I spot feed the polyps every day. It seems they are accepting food all the time. Could palys die from too much food?

Just want to take preventative measures rather than start worrying about it when things start to go wrong.

Thanks.

I don't think you can neccessarily overfeed them.. that depends on how you define "overfeed" though. IMHO , it's not neccessary to feed them every day. Paly's (especially the ones you have mentioned) are known to be fast growers (without being fed) I think you could limit your feedings to once a week even. Twice if you really want.

As for placement, I have found that any coral can adjust to any lighting given they are properly adjusted. Palys and zoos are extremely hardy, and if you really wanted you could slowly move them into more light. But watch them, and if they start to look PO'd, then shade them again. I have had many paly's under direct HQI lighting (150 and 250w)

So, I would say that you can't overfeed (ie: daily feedings) , but I'd say daily feedings for paly's isn't really neccessary. Once a week should do them just fine. Also, for the record.. paly's and zoos are very hard to kill given then are already in good shape.

Nothing to worry about here :)

marcingo
11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
great thanks. Also what do you think of the placement is on the sandbed the best place?

OCDP
11-14-2006, 07:16 PM
great thanks. Also what do you think of the placement is on the sandbed the best place?

Honestly, I would put it somewhere in moderate flow and moderate light. Again, zoos and palys are pretty good with being put wherever. Just make sure it's not too high flow (being blasted by powerheads, etc.) and if you have it shaded then I wouldn't go stick it directly under a 150w HQI bulb... adjust it to the change in intensity and you'll be fine.

marcingo
11-14-2006, 08:17 PM
great thanks.