PDA

View Full Version : How do you rinse Mysis ?

OCDP
11-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Seems like such a n00b question.. but I can't figure out how to rinse the mysis off and remove all the preservatives off. I hate the algae blooms I get after feeding mysis, particularly on the glass (film algae) Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Ruth
11-14-2006, 02:24 PM
What I do is thaw the cubes (or usually in my case the chunks as I buy the big packets) wrapped in paper towel. This gets rid of most of the "juice" which contains a lot of the phosphates. Then I will either rinse the paper towel in RO water and feed or if I choose to get really meticulous (sp) then I will scrape the little shrimpies off the paper towel into some RO water and swirl them around a bit and then drain that through some cheescloth or paper towel and then feed. Seems to work pretty good. Other times I am just plain lazy and feed after mixing in some tank water.

BMW Rider
11-14-2006, 02:40 PM
I put the chunk in a small plastic cup and add some RO water to it then leave it to thaw (15-30 mins). I drain it into a small fish net (fine mesh) then rinse it with more RO water.

Jason McK
11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I use tank water. melt the mysis in the tank water. I then dump it into a very small net. I pour RO water over the net and mysis then I dump the net full back into the cup and pour tank water over that to free the mysis from the net.

dirtyreefer
11-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Buy one of those small colinders from a kitchen store that are used to strain tea etc. Those work the best. Just throw a chunk in the colinder, run it under warm water, and then pat the bottom dry. Works awesome!

Chowder
11-14-2006, 03:48 PM
I do the same as Dirty Reefer.

Tarolisol
11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
I dont rinse it at all. Just thaw it in some tank water in a cup and dump it in.

OCDP
11-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I dont rinse it at all. Just thaw it in some tank water in a cup and dump it in.

Haha, yeah... I'm trying to do the exact opposite. In a 20g tank, if I overfeed in the slightest I will notice a bad algae bloom. So I always tend to underfeed big time.

Thanks for everyones tips.. seems simple enough, the colinder method is a good idea. I will give this a try tonight! Thanks again to all.

Beverly
11-14-2006, 10:04 PM
I thaw PE mysis in a cup or plastic container with RO water. All kinds of oil is released during thawing, so I pour out the water and rinse again. I do this about 4 or 5 times. Lots of little specks of stuff are poured out as well, so only larger mysis gets fed to the fish.

Osiris
11-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I just throw it in a brine shimp net and run it under water. When its thawed I just toss it into my aquariums. For the African land crab I just throw it into his aquaterrarium.

EmilyB
11-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Is there some particular benefit to the RO rinse vs. saltwater rinse ? I usually just thaw in tank water and drain in a net, then put on vitamin and garlic occasionally.

Beverly
11-15-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't have a lot of fish in my tank and I don't overfeed, so the food I make in the morning lasts for the afternoon feeding as well. Tankwater degrades the food quickly, even when stored in the fridge during the day, RO water does not.

BMW Rider
11-15-2006, 03:53 PM
I use RO water since it has no impurities to add to the food. That, plus the fact that I have the RO spigot on the sink in the laundry room where I prepare the food and the freezer containing the food is located. Everything is in the same location, so might as well go with the RO water.