PDA

View Full Version : ASM skimmers

Reefhawk1
11-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Is anyone using this type of skimmer? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

mark
11-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Have a G3, works totally fine for my 145g.

The only big negative I keep seeing on them is they leak, not a problem if in your sump (and I think leak is a little harsh, weep a tiny little bit might be more correct).

Pan
11-13-2006, 06:23 AM
maybe it is "weeping" at the beauty of your tank :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Tom R has a GX5 model that he loves & he convinced me that I needed a G3 model for my set up. I have it skimming 2 tanks with a total volume of over 150g no problem. Lots of dark, stinky skimmate. He has it running on over 300g total volume & he always raves about his ASM skimmer.

Excellent plug & play in-sump skimmer. Great bag for the buck IMO.

Anthony

mark
11-13-2006, 01:08 PM
maybe it is "weeping" at the beauty of your tank :):redface:

Tom R
11-13-2006, 03:43 PM
As Antony said, I have the ASM G5X and it is the best skimmer I have ever used. I use to use a PM Bullet II which was a good skimmer, however the ASM outperforms it with the following advantages. It is the easiest to clean, it is very quiet, it uses a fraction of the electricity and it is truly plug and play. Down side is I have been told that they are not to be used in a system using OZONE. The retrofits of gate valve and recirculation are easy to do and work as well as many of the super expensive skimmers.

Tom R

mark
11-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Down side is I have been told that they are not to be used in a system using OZONE.

Think they might be okay http://www.asmskimmer.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=337&highlight=ozone

Tom R
11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
That's fine ASM state that they are OZONE safe. I would still use caution as they are made from what looks like plastic not cast acrylic like a EUROReef. If you are or want to use OZONE I would consider moving up to EUROReef.

Tom R

Reefhawk1
11-14-2006, 03:38 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone it is appreciated. I just want to make sure I am getting a good skimmer for the price.

fkshiu
11-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Here's another take on ASM skimmers.

Their primary selling point over the years was that you were getting the same design and performance of a Euroreef at a fraction of the cost. Sure ASMs were more cheaply made and leaked a bit, but the money savings were worth it.

Enter the Euroreef RS-series. Pretty much the same price as ASMs but with the Euroreef name (for what it's worth) and better materials used: acrylic vs. plastic. The RS-series is not as nice or as robust as the CS or RC Euroreefs (glued seams vs. welded seams etc.), but it's the same friggin' design with the same friggin' needlewheel pumps.

Strange to say it, but it looks like Euroreef cloned its biggest clone competitor.