PDA

View Full Version : Nano Skimmer

Coderad
11-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I was looking at Tunze Nano Skimmer. Heard good things, but low levels of oxygen returened to the water.
What do you think?
Is there a better skimmer around that price range.$170
I have a 15gal nano with a 4gal sump. Sump is only 9 3/4" x 9 3/4", would prefer insump skimmer, cause tank is not drill and there is not much room with an overflow box.

Thank Cody

kwirky
11-12-2006, 06:44 PM
a skimmer would do more harm than good, since the tiny water volume being skimmed would lose it's trace minerals n such at uber speed... 20% weekly water changes will do way more benefit than skimming could ever come close to in a tank that size.

Kabong
11-12-2006, 07:22 PM
For 10$ more you could get a Aqua C urchin (on sale at J&L this month) rated for 20 to 75Gal.
So when you decide you want a bigger tank you won't have to upgrade again.

Skimming dry would relieve any any worries about losing trace minerals

Samw
11-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I prefer the AquaC Urchin. Its not that the Tunze returns water with low oxygen. Its just that it is a closed loop skimmer and the water exchange is done through 2 small holes. So instead of getting 200 gallons per hour going through the skimmer, you're getting about 1 or 2 gallons per day probably. If you don't overstock, then its probably good enough.

anglfish
11-13-2006, 02:59 AM
Have you checked out the Skimmer from Sapphire Aqautics? It's a guy in Houston that are building them for thee Aquapods and JBJ Nano cubes, but I guess you can use it for any other in sump application.
There is a very informative thread on nano-reef.com.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97104

I have mine for 2 days now so it's a bit too early for me to report back any result. So far the skimmate is still pretty wet and has a tea colour. No micro-bubble problems.

anyho.. lemme know if you have questions.