PDA

View Full Version : Tank Placement

TRIX
11-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Hey all
I finally bought a tank with an overflow. I want to have the tank viewed from 3 sides. So the side would become the back. My only concern is the only place that this will work is beside a window. The widow faces north so direct sunlight won't be a problem but will the light from the window still cause issues with algea. Please give me your input. I really don't want to have to set it up and move it twice.

mark
11-12-2006, 05:55 PM
My tank is more/less in the center of my house with with long sides N/S. The tank gets some direct sun light from both east and west facing windows. Can't say I have an algae problem and think if I did, think would more be related to excess nutrients in the water.

kwirky
11-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I've read about people with tank having contact with daylight, and the results are usually positive if nutrient control is maintained. Only thing to consider is the difference in intensity between winter and summer, in case you end up enjoying having the extra light.

Oh, and fish are used to having light from above, not the side... minor setback.

Manny
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
We all try to buy lights to simulate sun light or as close to as possible yet we seem to be afraid to put our tanks were they will get direct sun light. Its kind of like an oxymoron. :)

I've seen a tank on line that was situated in the owners sun room with 360deg. windows including the roof. So in my opinion I would say that it would be ok. The only thing that would be a problem would be the temp. fluctuations if it is not dual pain glass.

Psyire
11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I would be more concerned with the above mention of temperature fluctuation during the seasons. With a chiller this probably wouldn't be an issue though.