PDA

View Full Version : 15gal nano for seahorse?

Coderad
11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Would a 15gal tall be adequate to house a couple seahorses?
Here is the pic of the tank. Let me know what you think.
I will have a 4g sump running underneath once I get some 1" spa flex for a drain line.

Coderad
11-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Bump

JSTR
11-13-2006, 12:21 AM
dimension of the tank and what kind of seahorses would be very helpful to answer your questions.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Seahorses require frequent feedings & produce a lot of waste/nutrients into the tank. 15g is probably doable but less than ideal. Planting it with macroalgae to help suck up the nutrients will help. Regular water changes or good skimming will also help keep up the water quality. Twice minimum feedings daily, preferably more, means a lot of waste for a small volume of water.

Also, take out some of that Live Rock & put it in your sump if you have room to give the seahorses room to move around & explore. From the pic, it looks like very tight for space in there.

Anthony

AndyL
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
In general... Unless you've found a source for the Unobtanium-esque Dwarves, No. And that tank would be too big for dwarves.

For the reidi's and kuda's we often see in calgary - you're going to need a minimum 18" tall tank (24 more gooder). So really you're looking 30g+ (my pony tank is a 30xh, 24x12x24 - and I find it to be too small).

Andy

Coderad
11-13-2006, 04:49 AM
Tank is 19"hx20"L 10"deep. The live rock is a wall across the back it is about
3-4" deep in most parts, there is room between and behinde some of the rock I am not sure what kind of sea hores. I will have a good skimmer I am doing the shopping for that now. I do 10% water change every 2 weeks.
I am not even sure seahorses is the way I want to got I just want to do something different with this tank and the seahorses are alot of fun to watch.

Thanks Cody

howdy20012002
11-13-2006, 05:11 AM
10 inches in IMO is too shallow
tanks for SH should be roughly minimumly 3 times the full length of the seahorse or in most cases at least 18 inches.
when they start breeding, they become quite active and do alot of dancing.
They need that space.
IMO, this tank is too small.
My SH tank is 30 inches deep.
lots of room for them to go up and down.
HTH
Neal

Coderad
11-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Sorry I ment 10" from front back not deep.
it is 19" top to bottom, 20" accross, 10" from front to back.

howdy20012002
11-13-2006, 05:33 AM
it might work - that was my mistake, u did say that it was 19 h.
but keep a really good grip on the water conditions
a tank that small can go downhill fast.
good luck with whatever u decide
seahorses can be great.
however, they don't move around alot..lol
don't expect any high speed moves.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-13-2006, 06:52 AM
They also get sick relatively easy, like a form of gas bubble disease. They can also be very finicky to feed. As mentioned, a bigger tank is a much better home for seahorses, for the reasons we've posted. My seahorses stay still most of the time & are most active at feeding time. They are also in a 2' by 2' cube. Although its only 18" tall, that doesn't seem to bother them too much. Have reidis & kudas.

Anthony

Coderad
11-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks Every one for you input.

It is do-able but with a close watch on perameters.
What whould be the best seahorse to suit my tank, reidis or kudas?
How long should I have tank running be for adding seahorses?
What kind of macroalgae?

Coderad
11-15-2006, 02:51 AM
Bump

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Young tank raised are your best bet. Small size to fit the tank so they can have a little time to grow up in it. Reidis are more colourful, but also more expensive than kudas. It is also harder to raise Reidi babies.

Remember, seahorses eat alot (should be fed at least twice daily with good quality mysis). They will increase the nutrient levels in such a small water volume. Any way to either up the display or sump size?

For macro, I love using red grape, red halimenia, and prolifera. All are blade or tall branchy types of macro.

Research on seahorse.org as well. They are cool (my favourite fish) but high maintenance fish, especially in a small system.

Anthony

Coderad
11-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Cool thanks alot for your help.
Unfortunatly cannot increase size of sump or display with out replacing everything. Sump is custom made to fit inside of the stand.