PDA

View Full Version : Bubble algae=emerald crab?

MikeP
11-12-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm noticing a small amount of bubble algae on some of the LR in my tank, a LFS had some small emerald crabs. Should I go get one? How quickly can this algae spread. I'm afraid if the crab eats all of it he will start to dine on corals or zoos. Would he do that or would he just scavange for left over food?

Thanks for any info

Delphinus
11-12-2006, 05:41 AM
It can spread very quickly in some conditions, completely overwhelming a tank (rock, powerheads, etc.) I had it so bad in my 90g I ended up tearing down my tank. I had snails that were double the size, roving valonia colonies. :(

As for emeralds ... It's a crapshoot (crabshoot) ? To an extent anything with claws is of questionable character .. for the most part, however, emeralds are regarded are fairly benign (i.e. safe). For the most part.

Having said that, I kept buying emerald after emerald and they wouldn't touch the valonia. Apparently some are really good at eating it, but it's luck of the draw.

I did get lucky in that in another tank, I have a Red Sea sailfin tang and he loves the stuff. So my valonia problem eventually got solved ... no thanks to the emeralds.

It's worth a shot, but just thought I'd share my experience with them. You might get lucky..

MikeP
11-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I guess it's better to try it out in my small tank anyway, I'd hate to try and retrieve a crab out of my 190g when I get it set up. I have heard lots of mixed results with emerald crabs but at least in the small tank it would be relatively easy to get a trouble maker out.

Thanks Tony

kari
11-12-2006, 03:54 PM
The emerald crabs I have seen lately go savage on valonia.

oilfieldsafety
11-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a 30 at work that the Valonia was getting out of control in. I picked up 2 Emeralds 2 and a half weeks ago from Neil and now I can't find a single bubble.:mrgreen:

Shane