PDA

View Full Version : VHO question

mark
11-12-2006, 03:49 AM
Still wanting to add actinics to the tank to supplement the MHs. Gone everywhere in Edmonton but can't find 40W NO actinic bulbs. Thinking if I have to order online to step a bit and get a new fixture.

Is VHO still something to look into considering compact fluorescent and T5s being newer technology?

Fish
11-12-2006, 04:33 AM
I found URI VHO actinics to give the nicest colour when I last checked into it. Now though, I am going T5HO.

- Chad

mark
11-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Chad, why did you decide T5 over VHO?

kwirky
11-12-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a strictly T5 tank, and the efficiency is usually MUCH better compared to VHO because of the smaller bulb size allowing more reflected light. I've heard people say good thing about supplementing their MH with T5 HO.

just keep in mind you need the proper reflectors, and proper cooling can almost double your output. there's a huge thread on it on rc.

Fish
11-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Yup, that's why. I have been following the RC thread as well and have been really impressed with the look and performance of T5HO - while requiring less wattage...
As noted, you do need quality individual reflectors in order to reap the benefits.

- Chad