PDA

View Full Version : Tempered Glass

Reef_Ready
10-17-2002, 06:04 AM
What is the liklihood of a 150 gal glass aquarium having a tempered bottom? Are most made this way? I noticed from the AGA website that they do not use tempered glass.

Second question... is there an easy way to tell if glass is tempered?

zulu_principle
10-17-2002, 06:21 AM
Glass

Interesting you ask about how you know, I was in island glass today to have a tank drilled and asked how you could tell if tempered glass or not.

He couldn't tell and called one of the guys in from the back who drills who said not it wasn't tempered.

I'll ask tomorrow when I pick up as to what they look for.....

Zulu

FishGeek
10-17-2002, 07:16 PM
One sure way of testing to see if it is tempered or not is to drill it! If it shatters, it was tempered!!! :)

Simon

reefburnaby
10-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi,

AGA 150...most likely to be tempered given its size, but the best people to ask is AGA. Do you know how thick the bottom plate glass is ?

- Victor.

Aquattro
10-17-2002, 09:04 PM
I hear tht you tell by viewing the glass thru 2 polarized lenses. Not sure what you'd look for, but that's what I've heard. Helpful, aren't I?? :D

FishGeek
10-18-2002, 12:05 AM
On a serious note I thought all All-Glass-Aquariums had tempered glass on the bottom!

Simon

zulu_principle
10-18-2002, 01:27 AM
They said what Brad said on the telling tempered and showed me the little device they had.

That being said, the 10 gallon tank they were drilling for a nano sump cracked :(

Zulu

Aquattro
10-18-2002, 01:33 AM
I've found if you want something that thin drilled, you're better off buying a piece of glass already drilled and replacing the bottom (or side) of the tank. That way if they crack the glass, it's theirs. I always just go to the glass shop and order the right size piece drilled. I learned this from cracking tanks!

Reef_Ready
10-18-2002, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'll try the Polarized lens thing and see what happens.

I was unclear on my original post, I don't know what make of tank this is, but I went to the AGA site (just as reference) I found that their tanks are not tempered glass but annealed

"Heavy duty annealed glass construction is used so any panel can be drilled for use with nearly any filter set-up..." This is for their 75 to 180gal tanks.