PDA

View Full Version : Tin foil in a tank

mark
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
When I had my lobophora outbreak in the old tank and now some aptasia in the new, wondering what detrimental effects a few peices of tin foil would have.

Thinking, could mold some tin foil over where the LR where the aptasia are to block off light and hopefully starve then. Yes, would be unsightly but only try it for a short period. Probably need a week or two (how long can aptasia last without light, how long does it take to ship LR as survives that?).

Chin_Lee
11-11-2006, 05:00 PM
tin foil will oxidize in salt water - no good. try black plastic grabage bag and weigh it down with some rocks.

woodcarver
11-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Chin Lee makes sense. I remember years ago in the U.K. When a major importer set up a marine room with tanks that had an decorative aluminium frame and lost the whole roomful of fish. The conclusion they reached was that the frames were to blame ,leaching toxins into the water!
Play it safe and use something inert .Good luck.................Dave

vanreefer
11-11-2006, 07:09 PM
When I had my lobophora outbreak in the old tank and now some aptasia in the new, wondering what detrimental effects a few peices of tin foil would have.

Thinking, could mold some tin foil over where the LR where the aptasia are to block off light and hopefully starve then. Yes, would be unsightly but only try it for a short period. Probably need a week or two (how long can aptasia last without light, how long does it take to ship LR as survives that?).

Pepermint shrimp have always worked for me

atcguy
11-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Bought one and he cleaned my entire tank in 2 days. nver saw one again now he is peaceful and eats a little mysis with the others!! and obviously is grazing on small aptaisia that you can even see beacause I never see them and he has obviously been eating, very healthy!!

EmilyB
11-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I can vouch for the fact that aiptasia don't need light of any kind. I have about a million bleached out looking ones living in my sump........:twised: :lol:

Johnny Reefer
11-11-2006, 11:54 PM
I can vouch for the fact that aiptasia don't need light of any kind. I have about a million bleached out looking ones living in my sump........:twised: :lol:
I concur. I have them in my sump and overflows and, yes...in the display too. The sump and overflows get ambient room light only. If I'm not mistaken Aiptasia are aposymbiotic. I understand this to mean that they do not require light to survive. Consequently, depriving them of that is futile, IMO. Also, if that were the answer to eradicating these bastards, wouldn't that be documented and well known common knowledge by now? Seriously. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass....it's just a suggestion as per the discussion.
As stated above, I have Aiptasia problems also. (It's actually quite bad). My hope of eradication is increased flow, increased skimming and a refugium (read: increased nutrient export), and natural predation by way of a Tasseled Filefish. All this to come with pending upgrades. (I have at least one Peppermint, but he must be on strike :wink:).

Again, not trying to be a smart-ass here. I share your pain as I have a plague problem with Aiptasia myself. Just saying that I'm not sure that depriving them of light is the answer. Wouldn't hurt to try, however, IMO.

Cheers,

mark
11-12-2006, 03:39 AM
Since it's been suggested epoxying them into their hole, though maybe the foil might be a temporary way of starving them of light and food, just more easier removed than a glob of glue. Know copper would be deadly wasn't sure about aluminum or tin or whatever the make the foil from.

Got a syringe and a couple of large bore needles to try the kalk paste with (a whole 85 cent) as the one I was using with vinegar is probably too fine. Guess I'll go wild tomorrow on them.

Once finished with the Interceptor (just did my 2nd dose today) I'll try peppermints again.

Also, if that were the answer to eradicating these bastards, wouldn't that be documented and well known common knowledge by now?
Cheers,
and hey, I'm not allow an original idea? :biggrin: