PDA

View Full Version : Interesting MO concept...

EmilyB
10-17-2002, 03:59 AM
I stumbled upon this US site (http://www.personalizedmarine.com/resspeclis.html)

Interesting they have a "restricted species" listing.

Troy F
10-17-2002, 04:07 AM
Amazing. :(

Delphinus
10-17-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure I follow. ?? What are these people doing that is any different from say Flying Fish Express, or other typical MO outfit? They all seem to offer some kind of stuff like this: We'll sell you something if you really really want it, but it's your risk. I agree that this attitude sucks, the ocean is not a grocery store, but is this truly different from anywhere that sells livestock?

I'm sorry if I'm just overlooking some obvious point. I only looked at the page for about 10 seconds, so if there was something that was listed in there specifically, then I would have missed that.

Delphinus
10-17-2002, 07:59 PM
So, having a few more seconds to waste, I've cruised on back to this site. I.. um ... ok, basically, I still don't follow. What's the problem with this site? They are basically saying "the following animals are hard to keep, and you shouldn't try keeping them."

Is that not a good thing??? :?

naesco
10-18-2002, 12:14 AM
I think the point is that you have an online store warning reefers that certain fish and coral are almost impossible to keep even by experts.

I think this is a good thing. I think it should be the law.

EmilyB
10-18-2002, 04:28 AM
Thank you naesco. :wink: I linked into there on a search for a pic, and saw the restricted species section. I expected more, but thought it was better than having all fish just listed in a general format.

Troy F
10-18-2002, 10:50 PM
I guess my thought on it was; why not just keep them off the list? I mean some of the things on there are impossible to keep, why admit it and sell them anyway? It describes what is wrong with our "selfish" hobby almost perfectly. Before anyone comes back and says, "...at one time sps were impossible to keep...", I know but show me who's doing legitimate research on keeping black tip reef sharks in small tanks with success and I'll give you a dollar...or dendronephthyia - again: with success.

naesco
10-19-2002, 04:29 PM
I agree with you Troy. It is irresponsible to even allow these to be brought into our country unless for research.

I wonder how our Canadian MO outlets handle this issue?
Do they have any comments?

Tau2301
10-20-2002, 10:05 PM
Here is a list from Reefsuk.

http://www.reefsuk.com/CaptiveBreeding/Articles/UnsuitableMarineFish.html

terryp01
10-20-2002, 11:12 PM
I found the list of fish interesting. There are several fish on the list that I have kept for years with no issues. The Golden Butterfly is one of the most adaptable fish if you get the smaller ones, they will eat dried, frozen and other prepared foods.

Everyone has different experiences and I have seen some beginners keep some of the most difficult fish. I agree there are some fish and corals which should be left in the water but everyone has different experiences.

The only way the imports of these animals will be prevented is if there is no market. People are in the business to make a profit, some at any cost.

Thanks.