PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4" Gate Valves?

WWWD
11-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Hey does anyone no where to get a 1 1/4" gate valve? I am trying to do a gate valve mod on a G3 and went to terrison and they told me they don't stock them, they said almost knowone does these days. Any help on where to find one locally would be great.

Sedgewick
11-10-2006, 12:57 AM
by gate valve do you mean the ones that are adjusted by a screw device or just a slide. Slides are common thru hot tub dealers sometimes called a knife valve, and threaded ones from andrew sherrit 1 1/2 '' is about it so you'll need reducer bushings, ps get glue in ones that are threaded so you can reuse valve . Cheers

Delphinus
11-10-2006, 01:41 AM
I went through the same pain for my G3. I just ordered the kit from asmskimmer.com - let them source out the valves. Seems to me it wasn't this hard to find them a couple years ago .. I dunno maybe it's just an odd thing to want.

http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=39&osCsid=376ccfaa0c41bea8311ce8b747ec2c6c

WWWD
11-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Thanks, someone pm'd me they have some extras.

They told me at the shop that noone uses pvc gate valves anymore, they have all switched over to ball valves. I have a knife valve I use on my return but because I need precise movements I need a gate, also the knife has a lot of metal in it, this will basically be sitting right over/in the water.

WWWD
11-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Tony do you have a pic of how you did you G3 mod? I remember seeing a page at asmskimmers.com but I can't find it now.

mark
11-10-2006, 02:27 AM
link to all three mods http://www.asmskimmer.com/modifications.htm

finally did the recir and feed mod w/MJ1200 to my G3 last week, can't say a whole major lot of difference from before. Might need to either change feed pump, go direct from one of my two overflows or maybe some fitting inside the skimmer to get the water moving differently.

As for the gate mod, does give little better control, just because turning a knob a lot easier than pulling on a wet slimmy pipe. But even before the gate mod, keeping the water level constant in the skimmer compartment, skimmer production pretty stable.

WWWD
11-10-2006, 03:03 AM
Which gate valve mod did you guys do for your G3's? I see there is the standard one and an alternate.

Tom R
11-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Hi WWWD

I bought my 1 1/4" gate valve for aprox $18 at OA. I added the gate valve option to my G5 and it not only gave you better control of the height adjustment it also reduced the noise of the water falling from the outlet.
You are welcome to have a look at mine.

Tom R

Delphinus
11-10-2006, 04:31 AM
I completely forgot that I also bought a gate valve at OA for a skimmer. My bad. That's an option too. :)

Of the gate valve mods I did the first one (the second one has the valve after the T? or am I looking at the wrong page).

mark
11-10-2006, 04:37 AM
did the first one, valve before Tee

WWWD
11-10-2006, 05:44 AM
did the first one, valve before Tee

on a g3? works ok?

mark
11-10-2006, 01:36 PM
on a g3? works ok?

Yep okay on a G3, but that's not to say I had problems controlling before the mod, just easier with the valve. Had the pieces since I ordered them along with the skimmer from asmskimmer.com thought I should use them.

Found the bubble level would stay constant in the throat and would only need to adjust every month or two and that was after I pulled the skimmer and pump out for cleaning as would take a bit to settle down. If just taking off the cup and and rinsing it wouldn't need to adjust after putting the cup back.

Move the valve maybe 1/8 of a turn changes level in the throat by 1/2".