PDA

View Full Version : Garlic

Troy F
10-16-2002, 11:05 PM
I was just wondering what type of garlic extract people are using? I picked up a 60ml bottle of Kyolic, it's a liquid aged garlic extract in a water base. It's dark brown in colour. Does this sound like the right stuff?

Tau2301
10-17-2002, 12:39 AM
I use the Kyolic powdered garlic. I mix it with my flake food that I put into my auto feeder. Or I add it to my Mysis & Brine Shrimp with vitamin drops.

Aquattro
10-17-2002, 01:51 AM
Troy, I use freshly crushed garlic.

Troy F
10-17-2002, 02:20 AM
Thanks guys, I'm assuming the stuff I'm using is the right stuff then?

Brad, do you make an oil out of it or what? BTW, you're quite the little chef eh? Do you wear a little white puffy cap when you serve the food? "Oh garcon...a little more fresh garlic mysis please."

Aquattro
10-17-2002, 02:46 AM
Troy, you been peekin' in my window again??? :P

Yes, mincing the garlic produces a fair amount of oil. I rub the puree on nori and smear it with wax paper until the nori is soaked. I then scrape off the garlic bits. I have had ich vanish in 48 hours doing this. After I discontinued feeding it, the ich came back, so I feed regularly 3 times a week until recently. The one fish affected has only one or two spots left. He is doing really well and settling in great. Of course it's a species that is supposed to die within 3 months, so we'll see what the future holds.

EmilyB
10-17-2002, 02:53 AM
What species is that to which you are confessing there Brad..... :lol:

Aquattro
10-17-2002, 02:57 AM
Deb, I don't want to bring up the "T" word. However, this particular fish has been in captivity for 4 months, 2 in the LFS, and is doing great.

naesco
10-17-2002, 03:09 AM
Troy it is the right stuff. I prefer to use dry food as if you squirt some garlic extract on after 20 minutes the dry food really absorbs it all.

The idea is to get as much garlic extract soaked food into the tang as possible to prevent ich or to get rid of it.

IME it is a must have in the refridgerator of every reefers home.

Troy F
10-17-2002, 03:47 AM
To be honest, this is the first time I've ever used it. I don't have a tang/surgeon in the tank (but probably will one day). I just added a flasher wrasse to go with my two chromis and orchid dottyback. The flasher looks like it has lymphocystis, although it usually goes away on it's own (in my experience with well fed fish), I thought I'd give the garlic a shot. Glad I got the right type, it was $22.99 for the 60ml bottle, is that about right?

Tigger
10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Troy
How do you like your flasher wrasse? Do you recommend one?

Troy F
10-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Well I'd recommend them depending on: what other livestock you have, tank size is important for a harem and whether you'll be able to feed them enough. They're supposed to be hardy and are mid-water planktivores. The fellow we have was out swimming and eating probably 15min after purchase. I think the most important thing, besides the health of the potential fish, are the other fish in your tank. I don't think the flasher or fairy wrasses would like a lot of competition from other similar fish. We either have Cirrhilabrus filamentosus, a fairy wrasse or else Paracheilinus filamentosus, a flasher wrasse. Identifying is tough as both these fish have a long dorsal fin. I originally wanted to do a harem but gave up when I thought the chances of seeing more than a scattered few that no one would be able to sex.